1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway model MX321 uprade from home to XP pro driver problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barrontel, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barrontel

Barrontel Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I recently needed to upgrade my gateway laptop from Windows xp home edition to Xp pro to service a telephone system.

Well, long story short. The upgrade went south so I had to reformat and re load xp pro on to the laptop, now my device manager doesn't recognize the internal modem and it says it recognizes my card slot which I use for a dual port serial card but the serial ports aren't working.

I spent hours on the phone this week with Microst tech support, gateway tech support with no luck. I've downloaded and installed the drivers that gateway list on their suppoort board for this particular laptop, I've googled my few remaining brain cells out trying to find other drivers, so far the only one that clears my device manager error is the conexant v 92 driver, then the laptop recoginizes the new hardware etc. but the modem still doesn't work and always loads it into com port 5, which my gut tells me is wrong. the old driver was an ageres 97 which worked fine on the Home xp.

As for the serial port card it recognizes it as com port 3 & 4 which neither respond but the pc says is working properly, in Home Xp they were recognized as com port 4 & 5 and they both worked fine.

On Thursday I gave up and turned my problem over to a computer repair shop and they haven't gotten any further that I have.

The laptop is less than a year old and I believe there is a software conflict somewhere (I am no where near an expert, I work on Telephone systems)

I reformatted to NTFS if that helps at all, maybe it shold have been fat 32 I'm clueless in that area. Anyway, I have a sinking feeling when I go to get my laptop on Monday they still will not have solved the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

so you need to get the internal modem and the dual port serial card working?

do you know the exact model nos of those devices?

3. Barrontel

Barrontel Thread Starter

Everything is still at the PC shop but the serial card is made by ST lab 2 port serial card, the tech at the shop told me he opened up the internal modem and tried to track the manufacturer but didn't have any luck. Thanks for the reply

4. caperjack

caperjack

a program called Everest will tell them the names of all devices in the laptop,including the board chipset and modem,get it at www.filehippo.com in the benchmark section at the bottom of the page

5. Barrontel

Barrontel Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get the laptop back in the morning

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice