1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Notebook BIOS Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whealthy, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whealthy

whealthy Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the right place for this since this laptop is a Gateway and not one of those listed.

My parents have a Gateway Notebook, model# MX3416, that is a little over two years old.
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Bishop/1013920Rsp2.shtml

They had never updated any drivers or BIOS so I decided to do that for them. They had upgraded to Vista from XP and the Gateway site had drivers and a newer BIOS. The drivers updated fine but the BIOS didn't apparently. It had a Winflash utility that installed all the blocks and confirmed the installation. It restarted and now the computer only gets halfway throught the initialization and hangs after initializing the mouse, at least that is as much as it shows on the screen.

Is there anything I can do short of replacing the CMOS/BIOS chip if it is removable or the motherboard?

Any suggestions to help me resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I contacted Gateway Tech support but since the laptop isn't under warrantee anymore, they refused to help me.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice