1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway NV53 powers on but won't boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paracelcius, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paracelcius

Paracelcius Thread Starter

My 4 yo gateway NV53 laptop just won't boot up although the power LED turns on and I can hear the fan and the hard drive running. I have tried connecting it to another monitor to exclude monitor problem. I have also tried draining the charge by removing the battery and then hold the power button for 60s. The screen is completely black and no error message come up. It is running on Windows 7 64bit Home media edition.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Do you get any beeps at all? Can you remove all external connection, remove the memory and battery. Just try to power it on and see if it gives you any beep codes. (It should, to alert you that there is a memory error.)

Had you done anything prior to it's malfunctioning? Cleaned it? Dropped it? Lent it to someone?

3. Paracelcius

Thank you, Gr3iz.

By removing all connections do you mean even the AC adapter as well? There is no beep at all when I tried to power it on normally. I did try to remove the RAM sticks, and power up with out them. But it showed the same thing and without any beeps either.

I have not done anything to it. I might have tapped it with my hand slightly when I got up at night. But I don't think it was very hard.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Well, no, not the AC adapter. With the battery out you'd need that for power.

Normally when you remove the memory, you should hear beeps indicating a memory problem. Not hearing anything is not a good sign. It will probably make no difference, but you can also remove the HDD and (in most systems) the optical drive and see if there is any change.

Was it on while you were sleeping? Sitting on your bed while powered up? It could have overheated, possibly destroying the CPU or something on the motherboard.

5. Paracelcius

No, i turn it off when i go to bed. And I did make the mistake of using it while in bed. But that was four years ago, shortly after I bought it. The only noticeable damage I did then was the battery life shortened significantly.

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Were you able to remove the drives and try powering up? I don't believe it will make a difference.

7. Paracelcius

I just tried to remove the HD and as you predicted, it did not make any difference. I don't know how to remove the optical drive since I don't feel confident opening the laptop any further.

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Usually there is a screw on the bottom of the unit that will allow the removal of the drive, but, again, I doubt it will make any difference. I believe the main board has failed.

9. Paracelcius

Does that mean this laptop is pretty much done?

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Based on what you are telling us here, the main board probably needs to be replaced. I don't know your technical capabilities, so I cannot say whether this would be something you'd wish to tackle yourself. It depends on how much you can find a replacement board for and whether you'd need to pay someone else to replace it. Only you can determine whether that cost is worth it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice