1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gateway NV53 won't power up... except when it does

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Junkyard_Dawg, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junkyard_Dawg

Junkyard_Dawg Thread Starter

I have a 5 yo Gateway NV53 (I know, ancient, right?) that started acting up about a week ago. After putting it to sleep for the night, it would not start up again. I'm pretty sure that it gets power because the DVD and fan turn on but it gets no further in the boot up process. I went online and read about someone that unplugged the unit, removed the battery, then held the power button for approximately 60 seconds. It worked. Later that day the laptop went to sleep again and this time the power button trick took approximately 10 tries to get it to work. I then turned off sleep and hibernate to keep the computer running. A couple of days later, I tried to see if the computer would start if I completely shut it down and then restarted it. It didn't. This time it took approximately 30+ tries of the power button trick. I haven't turned the computer off since but last night it updated windows and restarted with no problem. That leads me to believe it is likely a power button issue, not software related. For some background, I swapped out a HDD for a SDD about a month ago and had no problems before this. Also, after updating iTunes to 11.4, iTunes stopped working. I uninstalled iTunes after that. The iTunes issue started about the same time. Coincidence or not? To summarize, the laptop will not restart by any method that requires pushing the power button but it does appear to get power. It will restart if I choose the "restart" option instead of off/sleep. Thank you in advance for the help!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, remove the battery and try to turn on the laptop and observe the results. if it continues the same behavior, the only way to make a determination would be to remove the bezel by the screen so you can access the micro switch that actually powers the machine when it is off. Use a pencil or similar small (but not sharp) item to activate the switch and turn on the laptop. If it comes down to this also do a good visual inspection of that switch, sometimes when users are a bit heavy handed, it can become dislodged enough so that the button on the bezel fails to trigger it most of the times.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!