1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway NX 560 XL laptop overheats and won't power on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boscobuddy, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boscobuddy

boscobuddy Thread Starter

My laptop(Gateway NX 560 XL) would run for a while, overheat and shut off by itself, each time I used it. I brought a usb powered fan for the laptop to sit on, and this helped prolong the amount of time it stayed on before shutting off. I stored the laptop away for a couple of weeks in an attache case. When I went back to use it, it would not power on using the power cable that came with it. I tried using a universal power cable that lit up when connected, but the electricity still wasn't making anything power on.

My laptop has a 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive; 1024 MB 667 MHz DDR2 Memory Module; Window XP Media Center Edition; 945PMw/128MB ATI Video Motherboard; 8X DVD Multi-Writer Drive; & Intel Core2 Duo Mobile Processor T5600.

boscobuddy

2. TekTime

TekTime

Sounds as if overheating caused your laptop to die...possibly fried your motherboard, or CPU, etc.
    Try connecting a different adapter/power unit to your laptop to see if that resolves the problem.

If that doesn't help, you may want to take it to be physically looked at by a shop or technician..but chances are heat has damaged it. For future reference, here's an article on preventing laptop overheating: http://time4tech.com/article26.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice