1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway P4 2.6 will not wake up while in sleep mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rayi23, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

Hello. I have this Gateway P4 2.5mhz and it will not wake up after it has been in sleep mode for awhile. I just did a complete reinstall of WinXP home the other day which makes it more frustrating. So I am very cautious in any solution. I did disable the sleep mode features as a workaround in the meantime. I did some chatting with Gateway and the tech chat guy recommend using WinXP home CD that came with the computer to do a repair but he said I would have to remove SP2 in order to do the repair as the WinXP home CD is sp1. I really hate to do that. I was wondering if slip streaming WinXP home sp1 with SP2 could achieve the same thing. Is a slip stream CD capable of repairing? How reliable are slip streamed version? Amazing how long it takes to reinstall when all is said and done. And, of course, if you have any other suggestions to get it to wake up in sleep mode. Thanks

Note: I did do a slip stream version using AutoStreamer which is a no brainer.

2. TechnutJay

TechnutJay

This happen to me before and I made sure the system was fully updated www.windowsupdate.com

I don't seem to have them problem anymore but the one thing I don't use which I used to is a screen saver.

3. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

Oh, I did a full update for WinXP home.

4. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

The only thing I can think of at the moment would
    be a BIOS update [if there is one].. some BIOS'
    reduce the power to the ports to conserve power
    and that can make it so your mouse or keyboard
    or whatever incapable of returning your system to
    'wake' mode because the signal's not getting thru.
    Stuff like that would make it so you cant get out
    of sleep mode OR once you do get out of sleep
    mode a input device may not work.. anyway that's
    all I can think of for now.

5. billandnancy

billandnancy

Hey we found out the hard way.. don't ever add any hardware to a Gateway that wasn't made by gateway.. it caused so many problems *hugs my dell* I hope you get it figured out..

6. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

I find that most "problems" are caused by the piece
    of hardware between the chair and the keyboard. Ha.

7. billandnancy

billandnancy

*laughs* well thats true too !

8. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

No hardware was added to the Gateway. It is as it was purchased from Gateway. But I'm not sure I agree about that statement about buying stuff from only Gateway. I've actually always found Gateway pretty good over the years. I have dealt with several.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice