gateway p4 866 windows me hang

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rjammer19

I have a gateway p4 866 mhz approx 2 yrs old.....a couple of months back I got a S.M.A.R.T. error & then the pc started to hang....I also suspect my son may have inadvertently downloaded a virus....I have NAV but it stopped updating .....if I reboot 20-25 times I MIGHT successfully reboot.....I have goback s/w & the pc hangs on the white goback screen....maybe during those 25 reboots the goback message " hit spacebar to repair problems " appears...if I hit it I might be able to revert...but soon enough I hang again...25 reboots.....a vicious cycle.....
do I have a virus or a hardware prob?..can you tell?....should I try to reload ME?...what if I format the disk & re-install ?...what if I format the disk & upgrade to XP?....help?!?!?...Thanx

rjammer19...
Welcome to TSG !

If you have gotten a SMART error, then it's best for you to start backing up any data from your hard drive. It's a good indication that your drive is ready to give up the ghost. You can read more about this function here.............

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=120

Debe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Take a look at the hard drive manufacturer's website. Most drives have 3 year guarantees......you might get lucky.

C

Charster85

Make sure after you reinstall ME you get a Norten Antivirus copy on that computer. With it, you will never get a virus again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online