1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gateway p4 866 windows me hang

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rjammer19, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjammer19

rjammer19 Thread Starter

I have a gateway p4 866 mhz approx 2 yrs old.....a couple of months back I got a S.M.A.R.T. error & then the pc started to hang....I also suspect my son may have inadvertently downloaded a virus....I have NAV but it stopped updating .....if I reboot 20-25 times I MIGHT successfully reboot.....I have goback s/w & the pc hangs on the white goback screen....maybe during those 25 reboots the goback message " hit spacebar to repair problems " appears...if I hit it I might be able to revert...but soon enough I hang again...25 reboots.....a vicious cycle.....
    do I have a virus or a hardware prob?..can you tell?....should I try to reload ME?...what if I format the disk & re-install ?...what if I format the disk & upgrade to XP?....help?!?!?...Thanx

2. mtbird

mtbird

rjammer19...
    Welcome to TSG !

If you have gotten a SMART error, then it's best for you to start backing up any data from your hard drive. It's a good indication that your drive is ready to give up the ghost. You can read more about this function here.............

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=120

Debe

3. rjammer19

rjammer19 Thread Starter

Thank you for the update...no hope for the machine eh?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Take a look at the hard drive manufacturer's website. Most drives have 3 year guarantees......you might get lucky.

5. rjammer19

rjammer19 Thread Starter

since the drive was doomed I chanced a reload of ME....so far so good

6. rjammer19

rjammer19 Thread Starter

THANX !

7. Charster85

Charster85 Guest

Make sure after you reinstall ME you get a Norten Antivirus copy on that computer. With it, you will never get a virus again.

8. rjammer19

rjammer19 Thread Starter

Done.....thanx again:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice