1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway pc network not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bball_1523, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bball_1523

bball_1523 Thread Starter

I have the network settings and ethernet card, cable modem plugged in correctly with the correct computer setting for the network of two computers i got ( A and B). Both computers are GP6-450 Gateways, 450 mhz, 12.6 gb hd, 128 ram, cable modem. My computer(A) is working fine on the network. The other computer(B)'s network isnt working and I tried to apply the same settings to that computer(B) with the ones i got on mine(A). Recently B was fixed up and reformatted and completely erased of all its files because it had loading problems. Now i tried installing the network files and everything with the settings, but it doesnt work anymore. I got the NetBEUI, TCP/IP, settings in on B as A does. Still the network doesnt work. Can somebody please help me here, thanks.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Ok, I'm not really sure how your trying to connect this all together. Are you running your cable modem into a hub/router/switch, and then from there into your two computers? I'll just assume this is the case. First thing is to try to ping your B computer from the A computer to rule out cabling problems. Open a ms-dos window on computer A and type "ping" space and then the ip address of computer b or computer B's name under the identification tab in networking properties. For example say your A computer had an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and B has 192.168.0.2, then you would type
    ping 192.168.0.2

Let us know how it goes

3. bball_1523

bball_1523 Thread Starter

I got a hub connected, the weird thing about the networking is that i can see the computers from my computer(A), but from B, I can't see any computers. I did a find search on B for computer A and B and it found the names, but couldnt open the network folders and said an error message. Do I have to do something in the TCP/IP or isx?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice