1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway power supply problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gambo69, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gambo69

gambo69 Thread Starter

I need help w/ my gateway computer. Here's the problem: Recently turned on my computer & it did nothing. Power light was red instead of green & the power supply fan did not even come on. Figured that the p/s went out. Ordered a new p/s from Gateway & swapped it out. Computer fired right up. Used it for several hours & then shutdown in stanby mode. Problem solved or so I thought. When I went to turn it back on a day later it would not come out of stanby mode. Tried several things & fianally unpluged it. Tried to reboot again & it was doing same thing as old p/s. Nothing. It was like it was stuck in stanby mode or something. Would not reboot. Reswapped new p/s out with old p/s & it booted up again.( Now p/s fan was running again) Have been running like this for several weeks w/ no problems but can't figure out what's up w/ new p/s or why the old p/s suddenly worked again. I now have a new p/s that does not work b/c it's stuck in standby mode so I'm ustill using old p/s. When I shutdown most of the time I put it in stanby mode & it has been workin' ok ever since I reinstalled old p/s. Any ideas? Possibly the motherboard? Thanks!

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

First thing that comes to mind would be the board. Hopefully more input will be posted from others?

3. gambo69

gambo69 Thread Starter

So U r thinkin' possble mother board failue?

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Based on what you have posted>YES

5. quick_

quick_

Try to reset CMOS. Should be a jumper next to CMOS battery on motherboard. If you have a manual, it should say how to do that

6. gambo69

gambo69 Thread Starter

I bought this computer used so I don't have a manual on it.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

You can also clear the cmos by removing the battery for appx 15min then reinstall. Be sure you do this with the power dis connected.

8. gambo69

gambo69 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help everybody. I'm still up & runnin' w/ old p/s but now I had some ideas of what 2 do if it goes down again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice