1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway problem (I know I Know)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gopherfan, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gopherfan

gopherfan Thread Starter

its my sisters so here is the problem. Everything powers up and the monitor says check the cords and connections, new power cord and checked the monitor connection everything fine but the CPU will not boot up! Checked inside, could it be as simple as the battery. Should I boot my Laptop up to her monitor or should I be safe in assuming it works because I get a message on the screen. Anyway to huiccup these things like the macs? ANyone have any ideas other than use it as a boat anchor ?? :eek:

2. Nvisible

Nvisible

I am not sure what you are saying are you saying that the monitor is telling you there is no signal to it... Or are you saying that the computer is not booting up at all... and you are not getting any post screen..

Also dont quote me on this becouse I have never tried it but to my understanding it would not be as simple as the battery has gone bad only becouse I beleive the battery only holds the system time and bios settings... I am pretty sure you could take the battery out and the computer would boot up you would just have to set the clock and the bios every time you booted.... Now you got my mind thinking and I must know test this theroy I will let you know as well as get back to me on what you are trying to say as far as your monitor...

3. gopherfan

gopherfan Thread Starter

turn on monitor and it says monitor is working correctly please check power cables and monitor cable. All connections are made and when CPU is turned on no start up screen in fact the monitor sometimes goes blank and the mouse (infra red) doesnt even light up. The Monitor can be turned on and teh computer turned on but nothing happens to the monitor except the 1st testing message ( thatit is okay) and then it goes off sometimes after teh cpu is turned on hope this helps :(

4. Nvisible

Nvisible

Ok here is three possiblities

1 Monitor is gone ( try it on another system see what you get)
    2 Video card is gone ( if your monitor works on another system try ussing a different video card if you have one around.)
    3 this is worse possible scenerio but if your processor is bad you will not get any post screen and no video...

As far as you info red mouse goes it really depends on the MOBO My linux box will kick the infared on my mouse on instantly durring the post screen with the ASUS MOBO
    However on my MS box my infared does not come on untill the XP Boot screen and that is a Pentium board.

By the way when I say Post Screen I mean the test screen that comes up and detects your hardware before boot...

Good Luck

5. gopherfan

gopherfan Thread Starter

okay I opened the CPU and looked for the video card........and its not where I thought it would be there are 2 slots for expansion, but nothing in them and the only thing I see that loks remotely like a card is the memoy.. WIll try the Monitor on my laptop and let you know thanks a bunch

6. dgoebel

dgoebel

That Gateway probably has an integrated Video card, (is the monitor connection port up amongst the other integrated ports?).
    If the monitor lights up from the notebook, purge all the power from the Gateway, I usually have it on and unplug it to drain it good, remove the CMOS battery (usually a button (watch style) battery, pay attention to it's +/- orientation, try pressing the power button with the battery out and power cord disconnected and then put the battery back in and hook the power back up.
    If it boots, reset the bios settings, if it still doesn't boot, could be the mobo, processor, or even ram.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice