1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Vista Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DRandall, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DRandall

DRandall Thread Starter

My desktop and my Acer laptop connect properly to my ISP but my Vista laptop will no longer connect and when I try I get the following message followed by a red X: "THE SETTINGS SAVED ON THIS COMPUTER FOR THE NETWORK DO NOT MATCH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE NETWORK".
    I admit I was fiddling around with the programming to try and get it to work and now this is the only computer that has a problem connecting - ( my desktop and Acer laptop connect with no problem ) so if anyone has any suggestions about what I might have done wrong during my fiddling to cause this problem I would certainly be grateful for your input.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try removing the wireless profile
    How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
    http://uk.tp-link.com/article/?id=281
    http://www.home-network-help.com/delete-wireless-network.html
    - Vista/Windows7:
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. DRandall

DRandall Thread Starter

Thank you Wayne. This did work and I am now able to get online with my Vista. This is basically what my younger brother suggested for me to do but I really has no idea how to accomplish it until you sent me this reply with the step by step instructions. Thanks again.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome

5. DRandall

DRandall Thread Starter

6. DRandall

DRandall Thread Starter

This instruction step by step site that I did my best to follow is strictly for Windows 7 and not Vista. Some of the places in the instructions are not the same name as items listed in Vista and after I got to the instructions to remove all the sites from the list of ISP's it leaves only the one I want to connect to but trying to connect to it doesn't work and I get the failed to connect box and when I click the diagnostics it shows "No problems with computer's network connection" but still will not connect. It gives me only "try again" and "try a different connection" and of course I have already removed the other connections. I have no idea what to do next and have been unable to find any clear instructions thus far but will continue to look. Any thread specifically for Vista to cure the problem would be greatly appreciated.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you removed the wireless profiles ?

8. DRandall

DRandall Thread Starter

Yes, I removed the wireless profiles and my latest problem trying to connect (I am embarrassed to mention) was that I did not have the switch on my computer turned to wireless. Now it connects properly however it is an unsecured network so that is my next problem to overcome. Thank you for your assistance.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice