1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Windows 7 freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fooko, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fooko

fooko Thread Starter

Hi, My computer randomly freezes, makes a loud noise, the mouse won't move, will see squiggly lines appearing on my monitor screen and the computer shuts down. I have to turn off the power and turn it back on sometimes several times or more. Sometimes it boots up right away and other times it just comes on and the screen remains black and nothing happens. I would like to know if ANYONE can help me fix this problem??? Is my computer hard drive being destroyed and I have to junk it and buy a new computer? I hope it can be fixed. Thanks.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Depending on what you use your computer for it may be worth getting a new one. Gateway computers are really not high end computers and use low grade components. can you give some specs on your computer? including the age?

3. fooko

fooko Thread Starter

I bought it in 2011, Home premium 64-bit, Intel GMA HD graphics, 1TB hard drive, 8GB DDR3 memory. I was told that Gateway is not as good as it once it was, which is why you do not hear anything about them anymore. I used to only buy HP. Wish I had now.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    fan speeding up, hard drive squealing, power supply whirring? Please be more specific so we can figure out what bit of hardware is acting up.
    Also what is the exact model. Is the video onboard or have you added a card?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    How are you determining that it is the hard drive making the loud noise? It could be the power supply (which can make noises like that when they are beginning to fail), Gateway usually uses power supplies made by Bestec which are total crap, and even worse have a notorious reputation of killing motherboards and other components when they fail. This could also be a case of the system over heating. When was the last time you opened the case and blew out the accumulated dust. that is something you could try. Do not use a vacuum, they are huge static generators and a static electricity discharge can also fry components, use a can of compressed air (available at places like Walmart, Kmart, Staples, Best Buy etc.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    OP said nothing about the noise being the hard drive. All that was stated was " (my computer) makes a loud noise". That's why I asked for a description of the type of noise. I also did not narrow it down to the hard drive. I gave examples of types of noises that a computer might make.

7. vembutech

vembutech Banned

Check with the video card or here have a look at this thread system freezes which may assist you with some idea.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice