1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway wireless modem cannot connect

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ernp, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernp

ernp Thread Starter

Gateway wireless modem problems...

I've been using a Gateway laptop for about a year, and experiencing no problems with the wireless modem. Had easy access to secured wireless at both work and home.

In December, I began to experience problems with the wireless connect that have made the wireless modem practically unusable. I have tried everything I can think of at an "Intermediate User" level. I now cannot connect to home wireless, work wireless, wireless at homes of friends, relatives.

Can you provide any diagnosis or help from the following description or conditions?

Problem symptoms:
    ---------------------------
    • Windows system popup informs user that it has connected to local Wireless net.
    • But, once started, a browser will connect ONLY to "Big Sites" like Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc.
    • Browsers will NOT connect via wireless to "regular" (?) or less-secure (?) sites. E.g., will not connect to links from Google search, MSN, or Favorites/Bookmarks. The browser tries to connect and displays error message to effect of [Unable to access this page].
    • Have tried the modem using multiple browsers, including IE, Avant, SlimBrowser, Opera, and Off by One. I get the same results with every browser tried.
    • Have gone through Internet Communication settings over & over, but I cannot identify a fix for
      the wireless connect problems.

Unexpected successful results:
    ------------------------------------------
    • The laptop works fine on the Internet if I plug it into a local wired network.
    • The wireless WILL connect to local unsecured wireless servers, such at airport, hotel, Starbucks, etc. No problems then on accessing links of any type.
    • The wireless WILL connect to Web-based email such as Gmail and Hotmail. No problem creating and sending and receiving web email. However, will not access URLs outside the email server.

Any ideas as to the problem or cause of this situation? Or as to what I might need to configure or check or replace to fix this?

I would much appreciate your help and suggestions. Good energies will surely flow into you from the surrounding universe!

Cheers,
    --ernp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice