1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gathering opinions about a new laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by linsjean, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Hi,

I got my tax refunds back. I am now ready to buy a brand new computer, another laptop. I am unsure about Windows 8 (is it a hard transition from Vista to that version and have they got all the bugs out from 8?). There are some things that I know I want like the following:

- 64 bit version
    - at least 6 gigs of RAM with more slots available if I need it
    - Since I have an external HD, I want at least 100 GB HD on my new laptop
    - willing to spend $900 to $1,000 for a laptop
    - most likely won't get the software I want on it like the Office Suite, but oh well
    - prefer an HP, but ok with a Dell
    - at least 3 USB ports that are 3.0 in power and an additional one that could be 2.0
    - built in webcam
    - powerful processor
    - straight keyboard (not interested in the ergo type slanted KB)
    - Extras are my own doing, like wireless mouse and KB
    - DVD player, DVD writer, DVD burner

I do not do a lot of graphics or video editing, but I used to have an apple and enjoyed iMovie and using my webcam, but can't find a laptop that has firewire which it requires. I guess I can use my little Cannon camera and record for 30 seconds, but I used to make some terrific videos and sent them as gifts to people.

I was speaking to an HP sale rep today via live chat and at one point she said this, ""It comes with SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support. However, since this is customizable, you can choose to have either Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner or Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner" I'm not familiar with some things so not sure was double layer support or the other stuff means. Before I buy, I must learn the lingo, lol

I know I am leaving important facts out, but I am hoping to gather some opinions from many and then make my decision.

thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assumed that since I "know" Windows I could figure out how to use Windows 8 just by barging in--just like going from XP to Vista or Windows 7. Not! Read a tutorial or two and the transition is annoying, but not all that bad. If you end up with Windows 8 read this sticky thread in the Windows 8 forum.

All the bugs out of a Windows version? Ya gotta be kidding! :)

3. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Thanks Terry. After reading the sticky I have now decided to go with Windows 7 :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice