1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gave mom my old computer(now it is broken) HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kellys, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

Gave my mom my old Compaq 9546 tower. Loaded with 95(original) 1 week later we get the error when booting 162-System Options Not Set and then a blue box that says Power-on Password o and something like a letter F facing down next to the o.
    I have tried rebooting and trying to go to safe mode but nothing works. It alway counts the memory and then this message happens and I am stuck. I have a windows 98 disk and tried to explain to her that I can't get to the desk top or safe mode to load this to the computer. Is there a way to fix this without selling my first born? Any idea would help. Please!!!!!!

2. mobo

mobo

Sound like there is a password on the bios. try opening the case and remove the cmos battery for about 15 minutes to clear it ..

3. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

and that would be where????? <--idiot

4. brite750

brite750

The first thing that's coming to mind is the bios battery might be going south. If your pc is over 3yrs old it should be replaced. Did you notice problems with the clock before you gave it to your mom?

5. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

thanks guys(or girls I will try both and let you know.

6. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

I looked up several things and found that my cmos battery is soldered in. Can I take this off. One site says do not remove but to add a ext battery. Ofcourse the setup they show is not like mine but close. They say J11 and mine says J12. Am I getting bot of these messages for the same reason? System Options Not Set and also the blue box with Power-on Passwrd o? I do not know how to reset the password and I can't get to any part of my computer to reset anything.

7. mobo

mobo

Deffinitly sounds like you need a cmos battery there, and a local shop is what you may have to do to fix the soldered battery..

8. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

well, i did the F1 thing i saw somewhere and thought I was doing good for a little bit and then i got to MS-DOS and went to default settings which was pretty much what they were. i reset the clock and date and then i got Bad or missing command interpreter/ also 782 disk control failure. and last but not least data error reading drive C after trying the F1 thing again. So now I can't even do F1 or F10/any other ideas or does this still sound like the same problem? thanks again

9. brite750

brite750

I think your going to need a pc shop to look at it. Did you say in this post that pc was 8 yrs. old? Bios fix may cost you $50 to $100, you better hope there is nothing else wrong with it, you could probably get a much newer used pc for not much more than $150 to $200. See if anyone else has any bright ideas, but it sure sounds like bios problems. Good Luck

10. mobo

mobo

Exactly...get a price on the work before commencing with it..

11. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

I'll cast my vote for the BIOS battery also.
    As Brite 750 pointed out, many of the small repair shops have rebuilt pc's in the $150 to $250 range and for another $50 or so could transfer most of you want to salvage from the old pc to the new one.

Once you start approaching the $500 mark start thinking new pc.
    Assuming a Name brand off the shelf, for $500 it will be low end, but compared to the 8 yr old box it will be a screamer.

12. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

thanks guys. Just bothers me when I finally get somewhere and then more errors pop up from nowhere. I found a refurbished cmos. Why does that sound strange to me? $11.00. Wonder how much shipping would be? Anyway, I think I will try to get a cheap one and see what happens. My mom wants to give this to her friend since she was forced to buy one after this one went south..

I did trade this one for one that worked about 2 years agao and the other one was worse than this one. The slowest thing I had ever seen so I got this one back. At least this one moved. This was my first computer. I have a new HP Pavillion I want to kick. It keeps locking up and I have ti shut it down and I get illegal operation boxes al the time. It sucks. It can't handle anything. Ofcourse HP swears there is nothing wrong with it even though there are posts about this problem with HP. Thanks

13. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

I am the one with the Windows 95 puter 8 years old. Gave it to my mother and a week later it would not boot up. Got a date and time not set message and then a password not set. I no longer get the password not set message but continue to get the date and time not set. I have tried F1 and F10 but there is just a big lag time and not much more. I got a new CMOS battery and no change. Still getting the date and time not set message and then I get a F1 box and a F10 box<--i think. I clicked on both and if I choose F10 I get a bad command interpreter. If I hit F1 I get a reboot and the same message over and over. Any ideas now> WOudl love to fix this once and for all.thanks

14. kellys

kellys Thread Starter

ALso not able to get any further as far as resetting and can't boot up in safe mode. Is there a back door I can get in through?
    This is a Compaq 9546 tower Windows 95

15. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

If you post to your original thread then we can see what has been suggested and what you may have tried already.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice