1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gave up on WMP 7.1

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shaynas_mom, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaynas_mom

shaynas_mom Thread Starter

I run Windows 98, otherwise I'd have installed WMP 9 by now. I'm not getting any sound from WMP 7.1, and it won't play any CDs through it. I've uninstalled it because I'm disgusted with it and with the lack of help or knowledge/request for $$ from Microsoft's employees over the phone. They only refer you to vague article numbers on their site.

Real Player works just fine, in fact much better now that I installed cable modem. I just always liked WMP better.

Last night my registries got all messed up because I tried to watch a video through Quick Time (the worst!!), and I was in deep doo-doo for a few hours until I reinstalled Windows just to get my ethernet card recognized again...Quick Time totally & completely threw back all of my settings to old settings. But that's a different story. However, if anyone's had THAT particular problem, I'd love to hear about it, so I don't feel like the Lone Ranger over here.

Anyway...WMP 7.1. What's up with that? It acts as if I don't have a sound card or something by the error messages it gives. Nothing's muted, everything seems to be on the up-and-up, and, as I said, Real Player is working 100%.

I have the old-fashioned Windows Media Player in there now. Any advice or comments would certainly be helpful, and please -- layperson over here!

Thanks to all.

P.S. Much snow over here!

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hello,

As you say you reinstalled your OS due to other errors did you reinstall Direct X ? If not then this is a likely cause of lack of sound. You can try this link here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

As you are using Win 98 / 98SE like me the latest Direct X version you can safely use is Direct X 8.0a. I think 9 is only for XP - just click Downloads in the left menu.

D/l - Click on the icon (assuming its on your desktop) to install. You will then need to reboot your pc.

If you like after rebooting go Start > Run and type DXdiag this will let you test Sound / Graphics on your pc by playing them back and asking if you hear them or not.

There may be other factors at work here but the above has happened to me before now.

Good Luck,

RSM123.

3. randyrayd

randyrayd

Shaynas mom, you are not the lonely QuickTime problem child. When downloading/reinstalling acrobat, somehow QT got downloaded, even though I'm generally very careful about these things. I would reset a viewer as default but QT would still be there. QT was everywhere.....It became my default media everything. Some JavaSoft lines pertaining to QT got in my autoexec.bat and QT was in my registry and Lord knows where else. It kept coming back. Several passes with regedit and a Norton utility and some changes to the autoexec.bat finally got it all.

Randall

4. shaynas_mom

shaynas_mom Thread Starter

RSM123, thank you so much. Yes, that's all it was. Windows 98 does support Direct X 9 - so no problem. What angers me is that Microsoft's so-called over-the-phone help was absolutely no help at all. Why did this person not know about Direct X? I can honestly say that the more "techies" from these places I talk to over the phone, the more convinced I am that they know nothing.

If I've offended anyone, my apologies, but this has been my experience with Microsoft and other ISPs, even my current cable provider. I haven't a shred of technical knowledge, yet I end up solving these problems myself, or with the help of you great people on these boards!

5. buf

buf

Stay with WMP 6.4 if that is what you currently use!! It is far better than 7.1 in my opinion. Don't have to listen to those pizza adds or whatever might be recorded. I only want WMP for access to internet radio and that is what I use it for and am doing just that now. Enjoy.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice