1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ge-force mx 440 8 AGP 128

Discussion in 'Games' started by bookime wood, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bookime wood

bookime wood Thread Starter

Howdy

A quick question about this card, mentorn manufacture it, when playing battlefield 1941 it crashes, also when playing tiger woods pga tour 2003, in the game options it only allows it to be played from 16 bit and will only allow a software render, I have used a sapphire ati radeon 9200 in the same rig and it plays both games (battlefield) at 100 % and tiger woods at full with 3d hardware render and 32 bit mode.

I thought this card would play these games, anybody got any ideas?

AMD XP2800
    1GB pc3200 Twin moss
    win xp

cheers

bookime

2. McTimson

McTimson

Did you remove the old card before you put the MX440 in? And did you install the latest drivers for the MX440?

3. RSM123

RSM123

Bookime Wood,

First off even if you did uninstall the Radeon Drivers, its possible that there are still traces of them on your system. I would go here :

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

Download Catalyst Uninstaller - and run it. (Read any readme file first.)

Furthermore you might be better off doing that with the PC in Safe Mode so that only Win Default Graphics Drivers would be used, this might help prevent conflicts / errors.

Also go here :

http://www.guru3d.com

Download Rivatuner - with this utility you get full access to your Graphics Settings and can adjust / tweak many settings that may normally be 'hidden'.

From the same site you might also d/load Detonator Destroyer for the future. Its a tool like the Catalyst Uninstaller that will help you clear out nVidia entries. Its handy to have this should you encounter errors with your new setup at some later time.

Also - are you using the up to date version of DirectX ?

4. bookime wood

Howdy MCT/RSM

The radeon 9200 played the games in another rig DFI INFIN/XP2500/twin mos 512 pc 3200, but I switched over cards as I was passing on this rig to my brother-in law, he was to get the mx 440 and the DFI/2500 RIG, so it was a clean install of everything, but the mx 440 gave the probs as above. As he is a more of a gamer I gave him the rad 9200, and did a clean install of my own rig with the mx 440, and the same issue's still stand, I will try for the new drivers, but the card is only 5 months old. The funny thing is this card will play enter the matrix no probs, and I am using direct x 9 I think(it came with my new leadtek tv card).

I am not a big gamer and I am new to this side of things, I know the card is pretty guff, but I plan on buying a 9600xt when they come down in price, this card will have to do for now, thanks for the replies and time.

I was wondering if there is some setting on the card I could change

regards

bookime

5. RSM123

RSM123

Bookime Wood,

Further to the suggestions above - I can only suggest that you use the appropriate driver uninstaller from above. Follow the procedure. Then boot in Safe Mode - and do a fresh install of the drivers you do need.

If you like you could then go to the manufacturers website and get the latest drivers -but I would only do that if the current ones give you problems - lockups / reboots without apparent reason etc.

As an aside you might also check out / bookmark this site :

http://www.omegacorner.com

The guy who runs this site offers tweaked drivers for both ATi & nVidia cards. The install process is quite convoluted ...and definitely not something you want to attempt after a few beers :eek: :D However many people swear by them.

If all else fails and you cannot get this corrected then refer to the Guru3D site I linked to above - as they have User Forums like this here at TSG ... but devoted to driver issues.

Good Luck.

Richard

6. bookime wood

Howdy RSM

I installed the latest nvidia drivers and battlefield 1942 now plays, but the tiger woods is still the prob, I have checked for a patch on the ea games site, is this card a direct8x card. Tiger woods game being direct9x.

thanks for your help.

bookime

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice