1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce 2 Ultra Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motocross95, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. motocross95

motocross95 Thread Starter

I believe it is a driver problem. I thought I fixed the problem earlier but it still does this. I enter motocross madness 2 and enter a race, it may go 20 laps before it quits on me or it may go 2. It might depend on the track itself or something, but it still quits. It also happens with Counterstrike as well. When MCM2 quits though I get no error, with Counterstrike, I get an Illegal operation error. I've messed around with drivers quite a bit. I am running Direct X 8.0, maybe it's an issue with that. I've thought about going back to the drivers that came with the box, but they are not here right now. Anyone know where I could get them? Leadtek and Winfast made it I believe. I also downloaded this thing from Leadtek's site for the GeForce 2, but I'm not sure if it worked, or what it did. My friend said it probably wouldn't be a heating issue because he said it would probably just freeze. Can someone please help me? Would installing Direct X 8.0a help? Different drivers? Or if you think it's a heating issue then tell me that to. I am running a T-Bird 1200, GeForce2 Ultra (Not really sure which drivers I am running since I have switched around so much lately), Yamaha sound card if that means anything. Please try to send me in the right direction, this is bothering me. Thank you :)

2. motocross95

I wanna know why it is that no matter what message board I post something on, no one seems to respond. You don't even have to know the answer, just give me an idea if it is something I have not tried or something. Just asking for advice not a definate answer.

3. motocross95

It happens with any game I play, because I just tryed Unreal Tournament and still quits after a bit.

4. Borderfox

Borderfox

Try the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com and make sure you uninstall the current drivers before you put the new ones in as the old ones are not deleted when the new drivers install. Also what chipset is on your Motherboard ie.VIA and what type of sound card do you have, just a hunch on the problem.... If you put in your own replies to your problem people think someone is answering you. I generally look for problems that have 0 replies and have a look at them.... keep in touch

5. motocross95

I have a Yamaha DSXG sound card, an Abit kt7a motherboard I believe. I'm not sure if that answers your question about the chipset or not. One thing I will try is reinstalling the drivers, because whenever I would I would just run the install file, I would never delete the old ones. Hope it helps.

6. brianF

brianF

7. motocross95

I also experience red dots alot, like 3 or more dots in a line. The dots can appear anywhere, sometimes they are on my desktop, sometimes in games, anywhere. Maybe that can clue some people into what is going on, I know it sure means nothing besides "not good" to me.

8. motocross95

I formatted my HD, and reinstalled windows, and I don't see red dots much, but they still exist. And so far I haven't got kicked from a game. Could have been Direct X since I haven't installed that yet.

9. Borderfox

Borderfox

click START and then RUN and type in DXDIAG and run the tests that are contained and click through the different catagories to see if it gives any errors (they are usually at the bottom of the DXDIAG window) see if it runs the graphics tests ok or still with red dots maybe might find something to look into. I think DIRECTX 8.0a is the latest version. I went through most of the stuff you mention except mine was a green bar at the top of the screen it turned out to be a compatibility with SBlive and VIA chipset that is why I asked for what type of sound card you use. You cant rule out anything interferring with the Geforce, but , anyway do the tests and get let us know how it goes

10. brianF

brianF

The red dots bother me, either bad drivers, bad memory on the video card, or it's getting tooo hot.

11. motocross95

Well I ran the tests and everything was good, all tests were successful the only thing that it said was under display "The file nvdisp.drv is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device." It sorta makes me wonder since what I'm having is a display problem right? Maybe someone could hook me up with the right driver or something. I have a Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Ultra. BrianF - Can you tell me how to test if the card is getting too hot or not, whether it has bad memory or not, and if I'm using bad drivers please. Thank you

12. brianF

brianF

I'm pretty sure the drivers download at www.nvidia.com are cerfified. Even so, that's really not a huge issue and unless your using beta drivers I wouldn't worry about it.

Only way to see if it's getting too hot would be to remove the cover and place a large fan blowing in on the unit.

Bad memory is a tough one, if it continue's return the card for a replacement.

13. motocross95

Well I believe I have had the card working fine before. Can you recommend some drivers? Well now the games seem to be working fine after I formatted and what not, just a few instances of the red dots, and also when I click on the start menu it's supposed to say Windows 98 on the side but it's all distorted so I can't make any words out, just like static. Well I know I shouldn't worry about minor things and usually I wouldn't but I've learned to think a certain way from my father, and that way is I paid for the video card to work, not to have to put up with anything. I shouldn't have to deal with garbage on the side of the start menu, and getting kicked out of games. Just trying to figure out how to fix this, and your help is greatly appreciated. Without you guys I don't know what I'd do. Thank you, anymore thoughts or advice??

14. Borderfox

Borderfox

I found an article on qeustinc about monitors maybe might help
    Q: When viewing a mostly white display on my monitor, it appears to have pink and light green splotches around the perimeter areas. Is this a serious problem and how would it be corrected in color display monitors?

A: A color monitor picture tube has three electron guns: one for red, one for green, and one for blue. These three guns are aimed so that each one lights up only those phosphor dots having its color. The electrons from the red gun strike only red phosphor dots. Similarly, electrons from the green and blue guns strike only green and blue dots, respectively. When this does not happen, it is said that the screen has poor purity. Monochrome (single color or black and white monitors) are not effected by this because they only display one color.

There are three possible causes of this type of problem.

1. The monitor has been affected by a magnetic influence. Color Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) are easily magnetized by their physical position in either electrical or magnetic field. Even the EarthÂ’s own magnetic field is usually enough to magnetize the CRT and cause distortions and impurities in the color picture. By degaussing the CRT (e.g., pressing and momentarily holding the degauss button on the monitor for approximately ten seconds to fully degauss the CRT or by using an external degaussing coil to demagnetize the strong field) the CRT is demagnetized to prevent such distortions and improve color purity.

2. The metal mask (shadow mask) inside the CRT is being over driven by maximum brightness and contrast settings. This will heat the mask metal causing it to twist slightly producing spots or impurity. Adjustments to the monitor using a color analyzer to align the electron beam should be made by a qualified service technician.

3. An impact to the monitor. If discoloration persists and color distortions are not remedied by degaussing the CRT, there is a strong possibility that the shadow mask has been displaced permanently by impact, usually caused by transit damage and/or physical mishandling of the monitor. In this case the shadow mask has lost its tension causing improper beam landing. The CRT would need to be replaced to correct the purity problem. This must be done at a qualified service center.

maybe it might be a monitor problem,Did you have the red dots always or just lately, Maybe try another monitor if you can,if not try default monitor drivers, just trying to cover all bases

15. motocross95

So what I'm thinking now is that maybe the red dots was the monitor and maybe the problem with me getting kicked from the games was a directx issue perhaps. Maybe I should move my stereo, because I have a speaker on the left of the monitor, the console on the right, and then on the right of the console is the other speaker. In close proximity as well, so maybe that is it, can I get some kind of shield for it? Or should I just move it? Thank you as well, never really thought of that. So either it's the stereo affecting the monitor or me bringing it over to my friends house a few times over the summer and up here to college, but I don't remember if I had them when I first got here. I think everything was working good, so it must be the stereo, thank you for the great article.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/57399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice