1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce 2 Ultra related (I think)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motocross95, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. motocross95

motocross95 Thread Starter

There are certain screen modes that give me problem. I want to play Action Supercross that uses DOS, so I play and the screen has vertical lines that are dotted and it doesn't look good. The game doesn't play very good either, and it's not very demanding. Can anyone help me? I am running win XP and the loadup screen that shows the little meter has blue lines. It seems like it might have something to do with the screen refreshing. Please someone help me this is very annoying.

2. WarC

WarC

Doesn't look like theres much you can do. The video card just doesn't have good legacy support, and the OS your running isn't exactly DOS-friendly, either. To put it bluntly: Your screwed.

3. motocross95

I am not willing to accept that as an answer. A friend of mine has a GeForce 2 MX and his works fine, and I know another friend at college who has one and his works good as well. They are running XP as well. Anyone remember running across a similar problem? please help. I believe it is something to do with the colors or something because when I turn the colors to only 16 bit I can see the dots and lines. There has to be something I can do. Thanks for the help.

4. WarC

WarC

Well, you could try setting the color back to 256 and lowering the refresh rate. Scale back the resolution a little too. For a dos game I'd try 320 x 240 and 256 colors. Maybe 640 x 480.

5. WarC

WarC

Also, are you running this dos game through the dos shell in XP, or are you rebooting into DOS? Does XP even have a feature to let you boot into DOS? If so, try that.

6. motocross95

It seems to only be with the colors because I switch my resolution to 800 x 600 with 32 bit color and I don't see them. Oh yeah, about switching my resolution and colors down. Well the lowest resolution I can use is 800 x 600 and the lowest color setting is 16 bit. I am running the game through the dos shell in XP. That would explain why the game is running slow. Maybe I will try booting up with a boot disk or something then trying the game. Any other ideas?

7. WarC

WarC

I've never used XP or have any experience with it, so I'm at a loss for what you can do now. I'm wondering why you can't set your resolution or color down further, though...is that a new XP thing? I'm using a Geforce 2 MX 400, and that isn't radically different from a GF2 ultra, and I can set my colors down to 256...but I'm also running Win98SE, so who knows.:)

8. motocross95

It might be a new XP thing, but not sure. Anyone else have any ideas? please help. I've tried things but nothing works.

9. motocross95

Does anyone think downloading motherboard drivers will help? If so can someone help me with them? I have an Abit motherboard kt7-RAID or something I believe. Anyway to find out for sure in Windows XP? thanks

10. visual8

visual8

You can try and download the latest detonator drivers from nVidia. They came out 12/3/2001. Just so you know Win XP will say that they are not the correct drivers for it. They have been working well for me so far.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

11. motocross95

If it's video card related, and the newest drivers don't make a difference, it leads me to believe that either the video card is bad, or AGP slot is bad. Am I wrong in thinking that? How would I figure out what is causing the problem?

12. visual8

visual8

Didn't you say earlier that the lines disappear when you increase your color depth? If that fixes it then I would say that you are set.

If that makes the game run more choppy, then I would look at what else is running at that time. You said that you motherboard has a RAID controller on it. You could just have too many background functions running.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice