geforce 3 vs geforce 4

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crundy

I have a Pentium 4 2g mhz with 256 ram and a geforce 4 mx420 64mg. The geforce 4 mx420 is the lowest in the 4 family but still eats games alive though. The thing is I have a geforce 3 500 Titanium 500 64mg lying around. My question is which card would be faster in my PC. Which one should I have in it. Please help someone.

Cheers

Also check out anandtech.com

The MX420 is perhaps a tad faster than a GF2-MX-400.

The MX440/460 are the FASTEST GF2 cards on the market - but are generally slower than the GF3.

Your GF3-500 smokes the mx420.

The GF4-Ti4200 is quite a bit faster than the GF3-500. Not bad for about $175~220.

I just installed at GeForce4 MX420 64mb PCI card YESTERDAY and i do not see one lick of difference in my graphics. My games are still laggy and unplayable and the tech support at VisionTek is a joke. I'm out of ideas, except for using my pc for batting practice. I had to disable an on-board Intel graphics chip so maybe that has something to do with it. Help! GAH!

Jaredodle, with out knowing ANYTHING else about your system, there could be many reasons why you are not seeing results.

Points to be taken:

Gforce cards are better than any on-board video systems. You must make sure to disable the onboard video and of course plug the video cable from the monitor into the new video board.

You may have a 300~1000Mhz system, (I dont know) the slower the CPU, the laggy your games will be. Low memory (32, 64 and sometimes 128) can effect performance.

You maybe trying to play games that demand more than your hardware can handle.

Even ON-BOARD audio has the problem of SLOWING games down as they tend to not be optomized like the CL Sound blaster Lives & Audigy cards.

The MX420 is a bottom of the line card, it really should sell for about $65~75. Considering that GF3-Ti200s are around $90~115.

GeForce cards really don't work well with PCI slots, hence the 420 is about the "best" you're going to get with PCI. AGP cards are needed for most modern games. So not having an AGP slot is the big problem on your machine. Replacing the system board will be your best bet - but that may not be possible with many name-brand computers.

Software : you may have a lot of junkware & spyware running on your system. get ADAWARE from www.lavasoft.de - its free.

The more stuff you have in your system tray- the slower your computer will run as they eat up memory and cpu cycles. There are only 2-3 items really needed, with an optional 2-3 after that.

- Firewall
- Anti Virus program

Are top two.

optionals : speaker volume, Pop-UpStopper (worth it), PIM... anything else is junk.... like : IMs, Auto-updaters, CDRW software, Real Networks, AOL. And you have other JUNK running that are not in your system tray.

With Windows98~ME... click on START / RUN / (type in) MSCONFIG - and click on the START UP TAB... About 8 ~ 10 items are really needed... but on many systems there can be 30 ~ 50 items of JUNK running!!! With an older chipset - you really shouldn't be running WindowsXP on your system... which really only runs good with about 2ghz of horse power.

Good luck... Post what you find on your system, and your hardware & OS stats...

first off thanks much for your reply

im running an emachines 633ids with Intel Celeron 633mHz processor, 40gig hd, 12X DVD-ROM, 12XCDburner, WinMe (bah), DirectX 8.0, 56K PCI modem, VisionTek NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 64mb PCI card, SB16

since this setup is 2 years old and is on the lowest end nowadays i just recently decided to amp it up with a new card

lo and behold! no agp slot! hence the MX 420: the best PCI card around (i checked) but its no scorcher

but i didnt want a scorcher (i'll save that for my new system i'm eagerly anticipating) for now i just need something i can play Deus Ex on for the time being

and now after the install...BAH...nothing...playing Deus Ex is all but impossible with all the choppiness...almost as bad as it was with my old on-board Intel 810 graphics chip that i finally disabled

youre right with the taskbar crap...i've got some cleaning up to do, but even so, i expected at least PLAYABLE performance: not so

hopefully with my complete info you can find me an answer

thanks

Well... 600Mhz is enough to play UT... even 300Mhz will do that. So it should be enough to play DeuxEX which is about 2 years old anyways.

64mb is quite low thou...

With that setup, a used Voodoo3 ($25~50) would be better as Voodoo cards didn't use AGP technology. GeForce chips really prefer it.

with WinME - make sure its auto-updater is turned off (likes its Soooo difficult to click on UPDATE yourself)... I can't remember the name of the program that will give you a text output of the programs running on your system (me bad)... someone here may do that.
But yes, having a LOT OF things on the taskbar running WILL effect overall computer performance.

ON my 900Mhz machine, I have: NAV, ZoneAlarm(firewall), Pop Up Stopper, Volume control. Extras is NetMedic (which I simply like but will shut it down if I want more resources) and my Palm Desktop which is for scheduled ALARMS.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 and play Tiger Woods 2005 85% of my gaming time. I have a 250w power supply....What are my opions

Ty

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4550
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A04, 1/20/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
60 gb hard drive

go txmatt i feel just like you and am currently looking at the 6600GT and i thank you for voting.
I'd say the 6600GT if you like a good card under $300. ($260 is the most i'd ever pay for a graphics card) and i hear that it does quite well, esp for Doom3.

neither would many agp cards. If anything a new PSU is due. 250 isn't that great i'd go 300 or above if you can afford a new one.

XneonX i see ur looking into that 6600GT i posted about the other day. :cool:

BTW...Buy.com has the XFX 6600GT 8xAGP for 229.99

yah I saw that thanx. I use froogle and mysimon alot and that popped up. Thanx tho because it always helps. If you see one lower than $230 please tell me, as long as it isn't some wierd dealer.

That Dell should have an AGP slot... but the 250watt PSU is a bit on the weak end (stanard Dell) - replacement is tricky and expensive... requires a DELL PSU.

Question is.... Does Tiger Woods play okay on your system?

Recommended Video card with those power requirements:
ATI 9600Pro ($130) or even a 9800.... If you want to stick with Nvidia - a 5700 will do fine... but some Ultras may require more power... and stay away from the LE/XT versions of 5700.

6600GTs are the SWEET spot cards.. they are going for $180~220 online.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online