Geforce 4 crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

makdt

I NEED HELP. I have a geforce 4 that keeps crashing 5 min into a game please help me stop this
I have got the latest nvidia detonators. updated my motherboard bios
got the amd agp driver, tried the large page minimum thing and even set my dx 9.0b refresh to 60
pls help me fix this
have looked up alotof sites with no hel[

AMD Athlon Xp 2000+
512 mb ram
nvidia gefore 4 mx 440 se
pinnacle pctv card
lg cd rw
lg dvd drive
logitech optical mouse and cordless and cordless keyboard
19" lg monitor 900b
creative SB live! 5,1 DE
creative inspire 5.1 5200

First, make sure you read and do everything in this.

Do the games actually run for the first 5 minutes? If so, then it may be an overheating problem. A lot of the MX's were shipped with no fan on the heatsink, which is a problem in cases with poor airflow. Try taking the side off your case, blowing out all the dust, and point a fan towards the case, and see if it helps.

makdt

i will try the fan case open play and get back to you. i had a problem with the fan not working which i got fixed under warranty a month back, could it have caused permanent damage.

also i read the other page cant post the dx diag info, toobig , anything in particular u want me to send?.
also thought i should mention when xp crashes and reeboots, i get an error report in xp to send which gives two files sysdata.xml and mini-[somenumber].dmp, is it a mini dump error?
will back to you, thanks

MysticEyes

Banned
i get an error report in xp to send which gives two files sysdata.xml and mini-[somenumber].dmp, is it a mini dump error?
A very troublesome and common error (a search on google will produce lots of results with no real solutions). You may have to reformat. Re-install XP, barebones (no cards installed), after XP, put sp1 on first, then go back and add your stuff/drivers one at a time.

Which fan was not working?

It could also be the processor that's overheating, or maybe a low-rated power supply that can't provide enough power. I don't think it's anything software based, so don't worry about posting the dxdiag, it seems more like an overheating problem to me.

makdt

it was the graphics card fan that stopped working.
As for the power supply, i have a brief history. My comp used to reboot earlier in the middle of games. At that time i was playing return to castle wolfenstein. It happened around 10 to 15 times. Then one day the smps blew, I got it fixed and it blew 2 more times, Then my vendor changed the smps to a 350 watt smps, from 300.
It worked fine until i went and got vice city, splinter cell and enter the matrix. After that i discovered the graphics card fan problem. So i guess it may be the power supply but for the time being dont think i can get an upgrade on the smps. Is it possible to control this by software since my ups never shows an error, even the lowest resolution crashes enter the matrix?
i still have to try play it with the cover open and fan blowing in.

I would just get a new power supply...if the old one was giving that much trouble, then you're probably better off just getting a new one.

makdt

i tried the open case, and blowing fan th9ng whil eplaying, it did not crash, i had setup matrix with 1 filter sample for anistropic, allow gammea, allow shadows, force object lod and W-buffer, all selected. but today when i was trying to switch from windows to Turbo c , dos version , it crashed again, and i got the mini dump thing

Just wondering? Will boot right up after one of these crashes or do you have to wait a bit? It really sounds like a heat problem to me as well.

I would seriously look into getting a new PSU. I had one go bad on me just a while back & I lost the MB & CPU in the process. :( If the PSU is not giving you a consistant power source it can & will make your CPU work harder, in turn making it hotter.

Have you any idea of what the CPU temps are when this crash happens? You can use AIDA to get the temps.

makdt

boots up right away , if not freeze it reeboots on its own, will try get temperatures and let u know

makdt

two questions, howto i use aida to record the temp of the cpu, ram and graphics card chip when the crash occurs and

My agp setting is on 1x, how do i change it to 4x ???

makdt

"nice catch man", what do you mean?
how do i change 1x to 4x, or have i been had

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online

No members online now.