1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce 4 Ti 4200 or Geforce FX 5600?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JAGS, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAGS

JAGS Thread Starter

I know this question has probably been answered, but I need to know which card is better and I don't have the time to research it right now, so I leave it up to all of the experts here at TSG.

I already have both cards in my possesion, so I don't need suggestions on getting a Radeon or a FX 5900 or anything like that.

The two cards in question are: MSI Geforce 4Ti 4200 128 MB, and an Apollo Geforce FX 5600 256 MB.

Which card is better for a gaming system?

System specs are:
    Athlon 2000
    MSI KT3V motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 RAM
    IBM 80 GB 7200RPM HDD
    Win XP Home
    52x24x52 CDRW
    16x DVD

2. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

GeForce FX 5600

the reason why you want to use that one.

simple

DirectX 9

In comparison's, the 5600 is only slightly slower than the 4200 (but you have a 256MB, so it might actually be faster)...

but the whole fact of DirectX 9 ability would make me suggest that you go with the FX, as it's far superior in features, and not much slower....im talking like 500 3dMARK 2001 SE .....not much diference.

go with the FX 5600 k? :)

It'll play doom 3 and half life 2 the way they were MEANT to be seen, unlike the Ti4200....it jsut looks better. :)

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

Ti4200 is a bit faster... 5600 will display DX9 effects.

4. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

i just said that....lol

i'd go witht eh 5600 though because what your loosing in speed isn't much....you'll get directX 9 support with the 5600

course, every little bit of speed counts.

does anyone here have a chart as too how much better or worse it is..i found on sorta.

the Ti4200 128MB got a 3DMark 2001SE score of like 12000

and the FX5600 Ultra (128MB) got like 11500 something like that.

but this guys says he's got a 256MB FX5600

is it an ultra?

if not.....i might suggest that you go with the Ti4200

5. WarC

WarC

Also, the 4200 doesn't support DirectX 9, which the 5600 does. However, the 4200 is slightly faster.

:D

6. JAGS

JAGS Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the feedback. I had time last night to run 3DMark2001SE on both cards, and I was quite disappointed with the FX5600. Both cards were run in the same system with the same settings. With my Ti4200, I can get consistent numbers around 10,400, and if I overclock just a little, I can get 12,200 out of it. As with the FX5600 card, the best score I could pull out of it was 8,240. This is running 3DMark2001SE at 1024x768 at 32bit color. I didn't try overclocking the FX5600. I think my kids will get the FX5600, and I will keep my Ti4200 until I can afford a better card.

7. WarC

WarC

Good choice. I have a GF 4 Ti 4200 and it serves me wonderfully...Its strange the FX 5600 would perform so poorly next to it.

Besides, all the next-gen games the FX 5600 was designed to play well are all being delayed into the next generation of video cards anyways! LOL

Quick question...What brand is your card? I haven't experimented overclocking my card because it has the stock cooler. It's a PNY Verto. Did you have to add any extra heatsinks or VGA coolers?

8. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

good choice,

i'd certainly go with the 4200 if i were you

im guesing that you have a non-ULTRA model of the 5600

hey...your kid'll like it. :) that's twice the score i currently get on my card (but that will ALL change this christmas...RADEON 9800 Pro time! lol)

9. JAGS

JAGS Thread Starter

Hey WarC,
    My card is a MSI Ti4200 - VTD8X. It has the stock cooler on it, but it is a pretty good one. It has a copper heatsink on it, with a fan that sits next to it that channels the air over the heatsink. The memory on both sides of the card have a thin sheet of copper over them, providing some cooling for them. I can't remember what the Geforce Ti4200 chips and memory are suppose to run at, but if I remember right, the MSI card ships with the memory slightly overclocked. The default settings for the card are: Core Clock at 250 Mhz and the Memory at 513 Mhz. I bumped the clock speed up to 275 Mhz and the memory up to 580 Mhz. The card came with a MSI Clock utility to adjust the settings.

10. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

that's cool.

overclocking is really pretty comon place with jsut about every card.

i like "RivaTuner 2.0 Relese Canidate 14" it's good.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice