GeForce 6200, decent for games but bad for Windows Aero?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davidsl_128

According to my Windows Experience Evaluation, my GeForce 6200 is decent for "gaming graphics" (got a 3.2), but not so much for "graphics", which got me a 2.8. Because of this, games run kinda well, but unless I turn off all the visual effects of Aero my PC runs soo slow (it can't be CPU, I have an Intel Pentium of 3Ghz, and I recently found out it's dual core; I only have 1GB of RAM, but I have many pendrives plugged for ReadyBoost. It has to be the graphics card). I went to check the details of the Experience Evaluation thing, and here's what it says about my card:

Monitor adapter type: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Total graphics memory avaliable: 767 MB
Graphics dedicated memory: 512 MB
System dedicated memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 255 MB
Display adapter driver version: 8.17.11.9562
Primary monitor resolution: 1440x900
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0 or subsequent
(this was google translated from Spanish, so it not be exactly the same as the English Experience Evaluation)

Is there anything I can do to make Aero on Win7 run more smoothly?

leroys1000

Banned
Upgrade to a better video card.
The 6200 is a low end card and if it is the TC version,
it is also using system memory.
From the shared memory,I would say it is.
Adding another 1GB ram will help too.

According to my Windows Experience Evaluation, my GeForce 6200 is decent for "gaming graphics" (got a 3.2), but not so much for "graphics", which got me a 2.8. Because of this, games run kinda well, but unless I turn off all the visual effects of Aero my PC runs soo slow (it can't be CPU, I have an Intel Pentium of 3Ghz, and I recently found out it's dual core; I only have 1GB of RAM, but I have many pendrives plugged for ReadyBoost. It has to be the graphics card). I went to check the details of the Experience Evaluation thing, and here's what it says about my card:

Monitor adapter type: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Total graphics memory avaliable: 767 MB
Graphics dedicated memory: 512 MB
System dedicated memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 255 MB
Display adapter driver version: 8.17.11.9562
Primary monitor resolution: 1440x900
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0 or subsequent
(this was google translated from Spanish, so it not be exactly the same as the English Experience Evaluation)

Is there anything I can do to make Aero on Win7 run more smoothly?
When you upgrade your video card make sure your power supply meets or exceeds its power requirements. Also you need to know your socket type.

davidsl_128

Yeah my PC won't accept more than 512MB RAM sticks, so I'm stuck at 1GB ram with as much virtual ram as I can get through ReadyBoost. Also I know that the GeForce 6200 is a low end card, but I don't game so much as to spend more than $100 (that means the only thing I play on my PC is cards and chess), and whatever I buy can't be online because I got my money stolen on eBay. Twice. Yeah I'm cheapstake but what can I do. Also my dad got me this card a while ago for, well, $100 (which is cheap, considering that where I live most cards are $300 and up), so getting another one only three months later would be redundant...

So even if a hardware upgrade is the ovbious thing to do, can't I tweak my PC in some way to make Aero faster?

Ok,, 100 dollars is not cheap for a 6200 by the way it may be that much at a regular store but considering that a 8600gt is 110 dollars at my local computer store im going to say you overpayed. Anyway as i recall your question wasn't "did i overpay for my graphics card?" so to the point! haha anyway I'll be straight with ya i have never used vista so i dont have a clue about it.

leroys1000

Banned
At least look for a card that isn't turbo cache.
That card is using system memory and just
adds to the slow down.
With windows loaded and that card using system memory,
it is probably forcing windows to use virtual memory way
to much,which is slowing things down even more.
If you are stuck with that card,then turning aero off would
probably be the best thing to do to improve system performance
a bit.
Might check ebay for a card.

davidsl_128

Well in my country there are almost no PC manufacturers and mostly everything is imported from the US, so by a general rule everything is about twice as expensive as in the US (unless I bought stuff online, which I don't)... so $100 wasn't the best prize, but it wasn't a ripoff either.

And is there a way to turn Aero off (as in transparencies, effects, etc) but not get that Windows 98 blocky look? If that's my only choice, then I'd rather reinstall WinXP...

Well in my country there are almost no PC manufacturers and mostly everything is imported from the US, so by a general rule everything is about twice as expensive as in the US (unless I bought stuff online, which I don't)... so $100 wasn't the best prize, but it wasn't a ripoff either.

And is there a way to turn Aero off (as in transparencies, effects, etc) but not get that Windows 98 blocky look? If that's my only choice, then I'd rather reinstall WinXP...
Do you know what socket type your 6200 is? also what powersupply are you running?

davidsl_128

1- No, but I have the box does it say anywhere?
2- What power supply? If you mean the voltage I'm using, things here run with 120V like in the US... at least most electrodomestics I have run on 120V, so my guess is that my PC runs on that too :)

1- No, but I have the box does it say anywhere?
2- What power supply? If you mean the voltage I'm using, things here run with 120V like in the US... at least most electrodomestics I have run on 120V, so my guess is that my PC runs on that too :)
Yes it should say on the box, its either going to be pci-e x16, pci, or agp. As for the power supply your going to have to oppen up your computer and read the sticker on the power unit, if you dont know what a power supply is,I suggest you google it.

davidsl_128

Well the box says my card has an AGP8X socket. As for the power supply I couldn't find anything, all I know is that my PC's an XPX. Don't even know the model. Anyway on the back where the power cord is it says it uses 115V, though I don't know if that's what you meant. I can't open my own to check, since it has a sticker that will break and void my technician's warranty if I open the PC (warranty for some repairs that they did some time ago, not the warranty you get when you buy it). I could go ask him, but that'd have to wait a week or two when he opens after holidays...

Now I just realized something, that there's no system dedicated memory in my card... but what decides what is dedicated to the system and what is dedicated to games? Is it something about hardware, or is it software? Because if it's software I'm pretty sure I can find a way to make Aero use the gaming memory as if it were system memory...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online