1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce 7300 GT causing fans to go haywire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 6Leinad6, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 6Leinad6

6Leinad6 Thread Starter

I recently got a GeForce 7300 GT DDR2 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card from my friend.

I put it in the graphics card slot on my motherboard, turned the computer on, and the fans started up extremely fast. Both of them, the one to the power supply and the one that cools the CPU down, but not the one ON THE CARD, started whining and sped up MUCH faster than normal. I was actually scared that my computer was going to explode.

I tried disabling the on-board graphics card, but that didn't help and just made me go through all the trouble of re-enabling it.

Any ideas? I know that the graphics card worked for my friend, and we both have Dells. My computer specs:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
    --16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    --1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    --Hyper-threaded (2 total)
    Dell Inc. OptiPlex GX280 (system model)
    3064 Megabytes RAM
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Without going to Dell's site, what is the power supply rating that you have? That is, output wattage...?

3. 6Leinad6

6Leinad6 Thread Starter

The MAX output power 250 watts.
    EDIT-----------------
    Ahhh thanks! I forgot to check the power requirements on the card. It needs 350 watts, and I only have that 250. I'll have to get my friend's power supply.

4. 6Leinad6

6Leinad6 Thread Starter

Nope. Turns out that that didn't work. Does anyone else know what the problem might be? It's not drivers; the computer can't even turn on before the fans go crazy.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Optiplex GX 280 had 5 different models. Which is your model?
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/en/ug/index.htm

The Desktop Computer and the Mini-Tower Computer both used BTX form factor motherboards. Dell machines with BTX form factor motherboards had known problems with a high rate of failures generally occurring after about 4 years. One of the classic signs of motherboard failure on the machines with BTX form factor motherboards was roaring fans with no display. If your machine is a model with a BTX form factor motherboard, my first guess would be a failed motherboard.

All the Dell GX 280 systems had known problems with defective capacitors. Take the side off the machine and use a bright light to look carefully at the capacitors. The capacitors are small can type objects that should be perfectly flat on the top. If any have "domed" tops (often described as "bulging" or "swollen"), are leaking a brownish looking fluid, or the capacitors are leaning (not perpendicular to the motherboard) they may be defective.

Attached is a link showing what you should be looking for.

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Bad capacitors may not be near as bad as some of the ones pictured and still be bad. Also, you may notice a slight "metallic" or "amonia like" smell in the case. You may also notice a "whitish" looking "residue" on components near the capacitor(s).

"Domed" capacitors can sometimes be very hard to see, so take your time and examine each capacitor carefully. If the capacitors are not absolutely flat on top, they are defective.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice