1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce FX 5500 Video Card, PCI, 256MB DDR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richpro, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richpro

richpro Thread Starter

Is the GeForce FX 5500 Video Card, PCI, 256MB DDR better than the fx 5200 and are both of these better than the ati 9250 need to know before I buy one

2. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

well i know for sure the fx5500 is > fx5200. i am using the fx5500 right now, what are you using it for, gaming? i would suggest as good as you can buy , hopefullly better than the fc5500. i get about 30 fps on cs:source.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The FX5500 is better then the FX5200 which is better then the Radeon 9250. However each one is only marginally better then the other. If you have the Radeon 9250 you will not see much improvement going to the FX5500. All the three cards are pretty much in the same price and performance range. The one thing the FX cards have over the Radeon 9250 is hardware DirectX 9 support.

If I were you I'd consider bumping up the budget a little and buying a mid-range card instead of a low-end card if you're into any kind of gaming.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. UnknownWarri

UnknownWarri

6. DIW

DIW

im going to use it for everything llike games, video, etc......

so...what you recommanded?

7. UnknownWarri

UnknownWarri

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just be aware that PCI has a maximum bandwidth of 133MB/s while AGP 8X has a max bandwidth 2100MB/s. Do you see a problem there already? And unlike AGP, PCI is a has to deal with other data on the bus. And most PCI video cards are clocked lower then there AGP counterparts so that'll lower performance even more. PCI video cards and gaming aren't made for each other.

9. richpro

richpro Thread Starter

Yes I am aware of this. My problem is, that I just got an HP media center computer. This does what I got it for, (tranfering VHS of Grandkids to DVD), we also do some gaming, and the onboard video does not support T&L, and it only has PCI. Just trying to figure out which card I should get without spending over $200

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Which HP Media Center is it that you have?

You have no worries about spending over $200 on a PCI video card, there are no high-end cards costing that much are made in PCI.

11. richpro

richpro Thread Starter

It is the m7060n model

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It would be nice to see a PCI video card roundup like Tom's Hardware does with AGP and PCi-Express video cards. The FX5700LE that Newegg has is the 64-bit version thats clocked at 250Mhz. They also have a FX5500 that is 128-bit and clocked at 270Mhz, and its about $10 cheaper. I would think the FX5500 might be a better purchase.

Here's the FX5500 I was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143032

13. richpro

richpro Thread Starter

Thanks, will keep that in mind. Going to go check them out right now.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice