1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce GTX580 running at half power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janen, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janen

janen Thread Starter

Hey, I just bought a Zotac Geforce GTX 580 and I am having some issues with it. Installation went fine and everything, but when I started 3D Mark Vantage, the score was very bad. It was about half of what it should be (12200 points).

I started looking around the installation disc and found a overclocking application called Zotac FireStorm on the CD, which I installed. I started the program and the default values where set, so I just clicked apply and started 3D Mark again. This time I got 27300 points, which is great!

To the problem: Every time I start the computer, I have to enter FireStorm and click apply for the card to run at max power. If I dont, its down to half again. Does anyone know what the issue is? Do I always have to start the program for my card to work fully?

Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    ASUS Rampage Gene III
    8GB Ram
    Corsair 650W
    Intel i7 960

2. olryst

olryst

Got this from a review site

Maybe thats the problem.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Your PSU may not be quite up to the job. NVidia minimum requirement is a 600w PSU (which you obviously have) but you are looking at a reasonably power hungry system based on the info you have given.

Stick all the information you can on this site and see what it comes back with as suggest power consumption:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I would put the capacitor ageing (toward the end) at around 15%, helps give a bit of longevity. I just threw some stuff in based on your details above + some average other info (a few case fans, 2x USB devices as you will probably plug some in and out, DVD R/W, 1 high rpm sata drive) and it put the consumption at a little over 600w.

If I worked my consumption out to arround 600w I would personally look at putting at least a 750w PSU in the system (600w being approx 80% of the 750w PSU capability).

Now, when you look at a PSU ideally wants to be run at around 70-80% of its maximum load to avoid unecessary strain on it etc. then a 650w PSU might be pushing it a bit.

This may be the reason why the card is operating at reduced power levels when you first boot up? I don't honestly know if that is the case, but would make a little bit of sense to me haha.

4. janen

janen Thread Starter

Hm, okey. Well, shouldnt the computer give me some indications that it needs more power to be stable or something? When I start FireStorm and the GPU is at full speed I notice no difference in windows and the games run very good. I have also read that this PSU should be enough and still have power over when using an 580, otherwise I wouldn't buy the card :) The info you put in on the site sounds accurate, so maybe I should try unplugging something? Got like iPhone charger, bankID etc in the USB's.

Thanks for the quick response!

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Having looked at what I put in it appears my wattage calculation was a little off (oops), I had an extra field in there which I didn't need. So, the 650w should be OK as its a good make, I recon you are using around 80-90% of that PSU capability dependant on load.

Is there any options on the software to 'use settings at startup' or something similar? It may be that the card defaults to that level when it first starts up by default.

6. janen

janen Thread Starter

Yes, I think so. I found an option to "Start program on boot" which didnt work. Then I crossed the option "Restore overclock on Windows startup" which seems to have fixed it. I will check 3dmark every time I start my computer so see if it works :)
    Its not hard at all to do, just concerned about why I have to :/ I shouldn't have to :p

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Yea, I agree, you would like to think that the card will run at its best by default. Only reason I can think that it isn't is because of a lack of power getting to it.

8. olryst

olryst

Maybe its some power saving feature thats causing it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice