1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce IRQ Assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by irish56_ak, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irish56_ak

irish56_ak Thread Starter

Replaced Geforce2 MX (32MB) with Geforce2 Ultra (64MB DDR). Card is made by VisonTek. Manual advises IRQ 11 as preferable. BIOS set to automatically select. Card was assigned IRQ 10, not shared. IRQ 11 is Ethernet card. Question: Is assignment of IRQ 11 to video card important enough to reconfigure BIOS manually? Does it make a difference in performance, or is it fine as long as it is not sharing the IRQ? Also, in Control Panel, under System>Performance, System Resources is only around 75-80 percent. After restart, will go up to only about 86 percent. I would have thought that a new video card, with more (and more efficient) onboard memory would have used less resources, not more. Any ideas?

2. Chum

Chum

Do not think it matters what IRQ# you use as long as it is not shared...as a matter of fact the card will probably not work at all if it is trying to share an IRQ! On the System resources issue, did the install add anything running in the background that you may not be aware of?

3. irish56_ak

Thanks. Had just checked msconfig- no additonal programs running in the background. Running (in addition to OS required) Keyboard, Norton EMail Protect, NAVAlert (part of Norton, but I don't know what is does, so I left it on), Mouse, VCool (program to reduce temp on AMD processor while at idle). Thanks for the help.

4. Heinz

Heinz

How important is it really that your GeForce not share an IRQ?
    I just recently became aware that it was an issue from an item in a FAQ so I checked my Win2K system and my GeForce 2 shares its IRQ (9) with six other things (including my sound card, network card, two USB host controllers, and the ACPI system). I read elsewhere that Win2K actively tries to have a lot of hardware share IRQs.
    I have never really had any problems with my video card, so I don't really want to rock the boat if it isn't necessary.
    Just wonderin...

5. irish56_ak

Are you sure your video card is sharing the same IRQ number with 6 other devices, or is it just listed with multiple devices? When you go to you IRQ list, it will show all devices, and the number the IRQ is assigned to the right. Usually, video cards do not share with anything (except IRQ Holder for PCI steering or ACPI). I would actually be surprised that the card was working if it is sharing with that many devices. I've never run Win2K, so I can't tell you exactly where to go to check. I know in ME you go to Programs, Accessories, System Info...it shows a list of IRQ's, and will tell you shared and conflicting IRQ's/devices.

6. Heinz

Heinz

Yup, it's right there in System Information > Hardware Resources > IRQs. In the "IRQ Number" column it has 9 next to seven devices - there are eight other devices listed with different IRQ numbers.
    An article I found at GeForceFAQ.com says "This is a 'feature' of Windows 2000 - it uses ACPI in such a way that all devices share the same IRQ, usually 9 or 11" and says that if you aren't having any problems with it, you should just leave it alone. So maybe it's just something specific to Win2K.
    Again, I really haven't had any problems with it, so I was just wondering if there was some compelling reason to muck with it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/54620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice