1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce MX4000 and HDTV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metsmania, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metsmania

Metsmania Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I have a computer using windows XP and a NVIDIA Geforce4 Mx4000. I just got a 32in HDTV(720p) and I want to use it as a computer monitor using the vga input on it. The highest resolution I can choose on the computer is 1360 by 768. How can I get a higher resolution so I can fit more items and information on the screen. Thanks in advance.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is this just the HDTV screen you're trying to get to a higher resolution? If so, that's the native resolution and as high as it will go. I found 720P to be unsatisfactory for computer monitor use (at least serious use) but have been happy with 1080P up to 47" (the largest I have).
    There is a possible exception where you put the display into "pan" mode if the NVIDIA control panel happens to support it, but that will probably be disappointing as well because while the display resolution can be higher, the part that is displayed on the screen will remain constant at 1360x768.
    You probably don't want to hear it but a 1080P 32" would look terrific as a computer display.

3. Metsmania

Metsmania Thread Starter

Hey Fairnooks! Thanks for responding. Just came back from Bestbuy where I asked this same question. The guy told me exactly what you did. The highest resolution the HDTV can go with the computer is 1360 by 768. He said something about dpi's and pixels not compatible. Something like that. He said I would have to get a dedicated computer monitor and then the rez would go higher. Im just gonna trade this tv in for a monitor. Don't know why they make these combo Tv's/monitors and not make it where can utilize the most out of the monitor option. Thanks again.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Sure, large computer monitors that are still affordable [for me] will have a resolution of 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. 1080P HDTV is limited to 1920x1080. I have both sizes and they are both acceptable to me. I suppose I like the 1200 lines of vertical resolution a little better. If you have soem cash burning a hole in your pocket you can go for the 2500x1680 resolution or so...I don't have any of those but they must blow the pants off 1080P and 1200.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice