1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce2 MX400, weird inconsistency

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patas, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patas

patas Thread Starter

Hi there, the problem is this: when I start my computer and the video card loads, in the first screen shown during start up, it says that it is 64Mb, but in the System info it says that the Adapters Ram is only 32Mb. When playing Spider Man the Movie or Max Payne if there are some explotions the video gets real slow.
    I was sold a 64Mb. Can anyone tell me if I got a 32Mb instead of 64Mb?

I have 512 Mb Ram DDR
    Win XP Pro, Service Pack 1
    AMD Athlon 2000, 1.667 GHz
    Integrated Sound device in and MSI Motherboard( KT3 Ultra 2)

NVIDIA driver 4.4.0.3
    I already tried updating the Nvidia drivers but it doesnot help.

Thanks

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Check the BIOS setup. Yours might be set to 32 MB by mistake.

3. patas

patas Thread Starter

Aaron, thanks for your reply. I am being told at work that i can only change the RAM settings for the video card in the BIOS if the card is integrated in the motherboard, I also checked in the BIOS (American Megatrends) if there is any options for video, but could find none.

Also a friend told me that it could be that I have installed a 32Mb driver, but the one installed is the one that came with the video card.

Thanks again.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You have a 64mb card... I don't know where in the system info your getting 32mb but you may be looking at the texture memory when in PCI mode... If your experienceing slowdowns, try running in 16bit mode instead of 32bit mode, or at a lower resolution. You could also, (don't tell anyone I said this) disable real time virus scanning when playing games. defrag your harddrive, add more system ram, turn off un-needed services like the automatic updates, etc...

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. patas

patas Thread Starter

thanks for you reply gotrootdude

Where i see the 32 MB is in Start/Accesories/System Tools/System Info
    Also Advance Administrative Tools (the software, not part of XP) tells me that it is a 32MB.
    Also in the device manager.

I will check the link you provided me with when i get home. Thanks a lot.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

OK, followed you in Start/Accesories/System Tools/System Info

What you are looking at is color depth, 32 bit
    not the memory on the card....

I'd probably lower it to 16bit through the display settings for games as the geforce2 is an older card nowadays.. Serviceable, but not as fast newer cards.

8. patas

patas Thread Starter

Hi, Aaron i checked the bios, it was set to 128, i changed it to 64 but nothing happened, thanks for the help.

Gotrootdude, the link you provided me was awesome, i already disable a lot of services and it made the video a little bit faster, but didnt fix the problem.

I have a friend at work with the same video card and he has no problems with any of the games, i have trouble in 640x480 at 16 bit, he plays at 1280x1024 at 32 bit without any worries.

I was trying to play a while ago and after a while the game closed by its own suddenly. Any more ideas will help me a lot

Thanks

9. patas

patas Thread Starter

Gotrootdude, can you explain to me how to uninstall the Nvida drivers completely, cause after i do it there are a bunch of related nvidia documents in the system32 folder
    thanks again

10. patas

patas Thread Starter

Hi, about the problem I am having, someone told that it could be a conflict between the sound and video drivers. A friend told me to uninstall both and then install the video first and then the audio. Can anyone tell me how to uninstall both of them completely
    Thanks

11. ruypena

ruypena

Patas... Im having the same problem with my geforce2 mx400 AGP, right now... for me its personal. The adapter information provided by nvidia says the card has only 32MB memory ( it says memory not anything about color) and i know for sure it has 64MB, if i find anything to get the 64MB believe me... i will post it here and send u an email

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice