1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce4 FX 5200 Ultra vs GeForce4 Ti 4400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cy_usa, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cy_usa

Cy_usa Thread Starter

"GeForce4 FX 5200 Ultra" vs "GeForce4 Ti 4400" what 1 is better?

I would like to get some opinions on what 1 u would pick and why.

cY:)

2. Akito

Akito

A better forum for this type of thing can be found at:

www.actiontrip.com

You can ask your question in their hardware section of the forum. They are all game freaks.

3. RSM123

RSM123

4. Romulus

Romulus

I would say the FX card because it has new technology and new effects, but that's all up to you. It's all about price and demands.

The Ti4400 was a pretty nice card when it was new and the FX5200 is pretty much the Mitsubishi of the FX models, but with the Detonator drivers, everything's possible... ;)

5. Akito

Akito

If you are not going to go with the top of the line Ultra FX's I would look into getting an ATI card instead. Unless you get the latest FX card, ATI's got it cornered.

I use a TI 4600, but am looking at ATI for my next upgrade.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

The Ti4400 SMOKED the fx5200 (with or without Ultra).

Even the fx5600 is SLOWER than the Ti4200.

The fx5600Ultra IS faster than the Ti4600.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-12.html

Its all based on your budget. IF $100~125 is your budget, get the 4200 or 4400. IF $200 is your max, get the 5600Ultra. If $275 is your top, get the ATI-9700

PS: DOnt waste more than $5 for a 256mb version of a card, they don't help.

Yeah, the 5200 is "newer", but thats like saying a 2003 Chevy Caviler is BETTER than a 2001 BMW 5-series.

Which WOULD you rather have?

7. McTimson

McTimson

I've heard that the 5200 Ultra performs better than the Ti's when Antialiasing and Anistropic Filtering are turned on though...and they do make games look quite nice.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Er....

... why yes, the Ultra5200 is faster than the Ti4200 (ONLY) with FSAA turned on....

...but like the Ti4200 with FSAA, the frame rate is UNPLAYABLE... on a FAST system. With a typical system, it would be lucky to break 20fps... unless...

You turn off ALL the details and lower the RES to 640x480, for which the graphics then look horrible. The end result? What the point of buying it?

As stated, TI4200 smokes the fx5200 & 5600. The5600Ultra is FASTER... and worth buying.

In games like UT2003 & Unreal - where YOU need some graphic power, you want a healthy 60fps AVG (This could still drop to the low 30s on certain parts of the game - so you NEED this headroom).

I get 50~80fps on my UT2003, 75% graphic detail - Anymore makes the game sluggish.

If I may ask, where have you seen the fx5200 play nice with a modern game? Screenshots are easy, they are not moving.

Check out these Ti4200 UT2003 screen shots:
    http://ap.terrabox.com/sshots/shots2a.htm

Some show FPS from the 50s going down to 16fps! OUCH!
    Hence, the TI4200 is about as SLOW as you want to go for a good gaming experince.

http://ap.terrabox.com/new/china.htm

For a $90~125 card, its still a good deal.

9. Drolith

Drolith

If you going with a card go ATI, I mean the Radeon 9800 Pro beat Geforces new Geforce FX 5900 Ultra, ATI owns.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

Er... not quite... Depending on who does the test, one or the other is 1~10fps faster... When were talking 100~250fps, thats nothing.

Whichever is cheapest for the price.

A difference above 10% is required to be noticable.

It becomes a silly fan war, like the P4 smokes the AMD. But that depends on what youre doing & how much you spend to get there. Or Internet, Office and games, AMD tends to be faster, for 3D rendering and Video encoding (DIVX) or rendering (out to tape) - the P4 is a LOT faster. So I laugh at those who say "im got a killer system" - but don't use the features. :)

hence, many people buy these 3ghz systems to play Hearts and read their email... its funny. Save a lot of cash, anything CHEAP computer will get the job done nowadays. :)

PS: I install both Nvidia and ATI cards - depends on PRICE and what is needed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice