1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeForce4 MX440SE Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DemonReaper, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DemonReaper

DemonReaper Thread Starter

Ok for at least a half a year now I been trying to get my video card, which is a Gforce4 MX440, to go 8x. I know its not the greatest but it was cheap. It says it may run at 8x but for some reason it wont go beyond 4x. I have updated the drivers. Nothing. Some friends told me there should be a jumper setting on the video card but I have found none. But a little history on the video card. When I first got it (Didn't know much about computers then) I tried to put it in my current computer which was a POS P3 400mhz. Its AGP was 4x. Couldn't get it to work. My friend installed it for me, worked fine. Then I got a newer computer. Still was an AGP 4x. Then about 6 months ago I built a new computer that came with an AGP 8x. I used a utility that showed me my statistics of my computer. It says it supports 8x but the video card is only running at 4x. One of my questions is, Is there a jumper setting that needs to be set on the video card or the motherboad to fix this problem. Or have I ruined my video card to where I may only run at 4x? If you need the statistics of my computer let me know. Its a long list but it gives you details in everything.

2. photolady

photolady

Are you sure that 440 is 8x, because there are two of them, one is only 4x. If you indeed got the one that is 8x, did you check in your BIOS to see if the AGP setting is set to 8x or 4x?

3. DemonReaper

I checked and it says AGP 8x is supported. There is no option however to change the speed of the AGP. I did infact copy some of my statistics from the utility, maybe that will help?

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chipset Properties:
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2
    CAS Latency 2.5T
    RAS To CAS Delay 3T
    RAS Precharge 3T
    RAS Active Time 6T

Memory Slots:
    DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

AGP Properties:
    AGP Version 2.00
    AGP Status Enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
    Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
    Current AGP Speed 4x
    Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
    Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer:
    Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
    Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/page/mobo.html
    Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

Problems & Suggestions:
    Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

Maybe this will help?

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It's not worth worrying about. There will be no noticeable difference with that card. On some benchmarks you may see a 1-2% increase. 8X AGP might be important in the future (or with the latest generation of high end games and cards), but your card will have to be replaced anyway at that point. If you want to squeeze a bit more out of it a very slight overclock would make more sense.

5. Bengaul

Bengaul

Does you mobo support 8x?

6. DemonReaper

Yes it does

Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x

7. photolady

photolady

Which mb do you have? I want to look something up and can't find where you posted what mb you're using.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There is a BIOS setting in most boards that allow the selection of the AGP bus speed; usually the key to press while the computer is booting is DEL or F2 and then look around the BIOS settings for Advanced settings or something like that.

Its also important to have the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard, in your case you have an NForce2 chipset so you can get the latest drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website or from NVidia's website which I'll post a link for (These may be newer).

You may also want to update your video card drivers to the latest release as well.

Chipset: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.24
    Video: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72

However 4X versus 8X on the GeForce4 MX440 won't affect your performance significantly if at all. There's no jumper on the card and its not broken if it works.

9. DemonReaper

64mb

10. photolady

photolady

Not MegaBytes, MB=Motherboard. :D Which one?

11. DemonReaper

12. photolady

photolady

Well, that didn't help because I was looking for what BIOS your board has so I could tell you exactly now to reset the AGP to 8x, but, on XFX there is no user guide available. So, in lieu of this, I would do as Triple6 says, upgrade your chipset drivers and your video drivers and not worry about the speed of card. That card is one of the low end Nvidia cards, at that.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice