1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce4 TI 4600 dectection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajm1205, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajm1205

ajm1205 Thread Starter

After upgrading my system to a 3GHz P4 HT with an Intel 865PERL board I transfered my Geforce4 TI 4600 (Visiontek) and installed WinXP Pro SP2. The video card works, but the system refuses to detect it as a Geforce and only detects it as the default VGA card. If I try to install the NVidia drivers, they error out saying they couldn't detect a valid NVidia product. If I then install the drivers manually, selecting the TI 4600, the card works more fully but has serious performance and stability problems. The screen frequently flashes random artifacts from the card's memory, and in some games leaves a large perimeter of junk around the edges. Does anyone know of a way to get XP to detect this card correctly so I can get my system to work the way it should.

Thanks,

Adam

P.S. Replacement of the card is not an option.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go to Intel's website: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

Download and update the BIOS to the latest version. Then enter the BIOS setup and set the Primary VGA device to AGP. Also if your Geforce TI 4600 is AGP 4X then set the AGP to 4X otherwise leave it at 8X. If your really not sure then set it to AUTO.

Next install the latest Intel Chipset Software and Intel Application Accelerator. Those two are important for performance and compatibility. You might as well also download the audio, LAN, and other drivers as well.

Now go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any Nvidia drivers if listed. Also go to Device Manager and remove any driver under Display Adaptors. Reboot. If Windows doesn't have a built-in driver for the card it is normal for the card to be installed as a Standard VGA device. It also must be listed in Device Manager as a Standard VGA device or as a Geforce card or the driver will not install; that means you cannot cancel the Found New Hardware Wizard but rather click Next all the way through then click Finish regardless if it finds a driver or not.

Now try installing the latest Nvidia driver off the Nvidia.com website, 77.77 I think is the latest.

If that fails then try an older driver from their archives like a 40 series driver.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice