1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Geforce4 Ti 4600 vs. Geforce4 Ti 4200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fubart, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Ordering a new system from Dell. Video card choices are the 4600 or the 4200. My son and I are enthusiastic but not obsessed gamers (FPS & RTS mostly).

Question: Considering the $230 price difference, are the performance differences marginal or dramatic enough to warrant the extra dollars? What degree of difference is there?

Also, will the 128MB card carry us further into the future than the 64MB 4200?

I know "answers" here are relative and subjective, but much appreciation for opinions.

*** Dell doesn't offer the Geforce4 4400 card.

2. brianF

brianF

3. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Brian, thanks for your time. I read the review and some other info at the site. Decided to go with the 4200 ... which will suit my needs fine. When the next (really) "new" gen of cards comes out, I'll feel less inhibited about moving up given my more moderately priced current card.

4. H8tank

H8tank

You made the right choice. The 4600 should only be considered if you have money to burn. Technology wise, they are the same card.

At the resoltions 95% people play, they are both more than fast enough.

5. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

Being an owner of a Ti 4600 myself, I can tell you that you made the right choice. The Ti 4200 128MB will be very good in next year's games still, and if you want, I can show you an EXTREMELY EASY way to overclock the card to near Ti-4600 speeds. As with any overclocking, there's always a small risk, but if you keep at safe speeds like I do, it gives you the better card for less bucks :D. If not though, that card will still suit you very well, nice choice.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

If youre not HARD CORE gamers - get the 4200.

When the NEW games bring the 4200 to its knees, then it means that the 4600 is outdated as well... There are new cards coming out within the next few months that smoke the 4600 and costs the same.

7. carltasha

carltasha

I am a gamer , 40 hours a week . I only play on line games where the reqierments are not the same . the 4200 works for me but then my old voodoo 5 is not yet on its knees, stumbelin a bit but still in there. its fun to have two machiens and two accounts .

8. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

Oh, is that so, well the Ti 4200 was suitable for this unreal hardcore gamer who won the huge unreal lancon in ohio recently with a tom's hardware rig.-

http://www.tomshardware.com/network/02q3/020723/ultraunreal-02.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/network/02q3/020723/ultraunreal-14.html

Bah Mr. "HARD CORE" gamer. Muhahahha

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Two accounts? Stuck with dial up? DSL /Cable, one account will work. A router will you to put several computers on a single connection. $100 with built in hubs.

My #2 PC has a V3-3000... still plays UT in 800x600 or 1024x768 depending on the map.

10. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

Also, compiler, the voodoo cards were great for unreal because of the 3dfx glide drivers. The voodoo 5 got better frames over the GeForce 2 Ultra even, when it first came out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/88342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice