1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

general and view tab missing in folder options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drew4188, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

I am using Win Xp Pro and somehow the general and the view tabs are missing as an option under My computer -- Tools and then folder options. The only tabs that are available are the File types and Offline files tab.

The general and :( the view tabs are missing. I became aware when I wanted to show all hidden files with a folder on my C Drive.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Is this the only PC on the network?? Are you running any types of servers?? Sounds like some kind of policy got written into the registry.

3. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

I am the admin for my make shift network that me and my kids use. I may have set it up so that they are Admin on their computer. Not certain.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try this for starters. Go to Start > Run and enter:

regsvr32 shell32.dll

You should get a message "dll successfully registered". Check to see if any different after that.

Also try:

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

There is also a patch for the "view" tab available here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

See item 368. Right click on it, select "save target as" and download it to the desktop or other convenient location. Then double click it to merge it to the registry. Check again after that.

5. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

Could Norton have re-written my registry and caused my tabs to not be visible.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No, not likely. There is no specific policy that I know of to hide these tabs. There is one for File extensions I believe and for folder options generally.

Most likely there is some registry damage in the location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Try the procedures I suggested. If they do not help, run regedit and select that Advanced key. Select File > Export and save it as a TEXT file (not .reg). Upload that here as an attachment so I can compare it with mine.

7. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

checking and will get back

8. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

I don't have this listed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advan ced

9. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

I downloaded the view patch but it didn't work

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Aha!

Well the "patch" should have replaced part of it ...

Still, if you are willing to gamble, here's what you do. I am going to upload in a ZIP file format my "hive" key for that entry. You want to COMPLETELY unzip it. Then run regedit and select File > Import. Under files of "TYPE" you want to select "HIVE", then navigate to where you unzipped my file and select that.

There may be some differences between my HOME edition and a PRO version, so if you have another PRO system, it would be preferable to use that -- but I doubt the differences are significant if any.

Attached Files:

11. drew4188

drew4188 Thread Starter

trying it be back

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/407408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice