1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General Memory Slot Configuration Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akmorph, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akmorph

Akmorph Thread Starter

I just recently purchased a 1gb stick of Kingston ddr400 Ram for my pc.

Currently i have 2 x 512mb sticks in my 1st and 3rd slot of my MB. I currently use the Asus A7N8X-D Board. 3 Memory slots total. What would you suggest me to do for the order of my memory or does it even matter ?

Slot 1 : 512mb
    Slot 2 : Empty
    Slot 3 : 512mb

Eventually going to be 3gb Memory but Im not the best in these types of configurations.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

2. Sponsor

3. prowler351

prowler351

For speed and effectiveness, always put your biggest mem stick in slot 1,2nd biggest in slot 2 ,and 3rd in slot 3.
    So for you, move that stick in 3 to slot 2.when your computer needs ram,it always goes to slot 1 first, and then if it needs more, it checks the next slot.this way you can save 0.0000001 seconds :) hehehe

4. winbob

winbob

What the heck are you going to be doing to utilize 3GB of RAM????

5. prowler351

prowler351

who cares you can always use more ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHE.
    I got a buddy whos trying to make a system that will load all of a game like WCIII onto nothing but ram and skip needing to get stuff off the hard drives at all.
    It at least sounds like it would kick a$$.now as far as saving anything and making it actualy work may be the hard part.If he can't pull it off,im sure someone will.

6. pronute

pronute

You can install 3GB of memory, however even if Windows would allow you run applications on the entire 3GB (which it will not do) your cache would be thinned out so much it would slow your system to a crawl, and remember every component uses Memory even the memory uses memory (cache) and Windows occupies a minimum of 32 MB.

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you may find that you do not use the memory - this drive for memory does have an upper limit
    have a look at task manager and see how much memeory you are currenlty using -
    I have 512MB and rarely use it all and swap - when using the PC normally

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/303265