1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General Print Server Info Needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

My first and last experience with a print server was with a small, cheap one that would not handle jobs over about 30 pages. If you gave it a 200-page job, well, it would just quit after about 30 or so pages.

I have an HP5 printer in my office connected to an always-on computer. Well, occasionally, I would like to turn that computer off or maybe go into DOS mode to play around with things there. That makes the printer unavailable to the rest of the network. I would like to use a print server; but, I don't want to run into that print server's memory barrier when I want to print a 400-page document.

I admit that beyond the knowledge of a print server's intended basic function, I know almost nothing about them.

Any suggestions or knowledge anyone cares to impart would be appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be cheaper to have a headless old computer configured as a print server if you want that kind of buffering. You probably have an old relic in the closet that would do the trick. Install VNC and you can manage it from your other computers on the network.

3. Alex Ethridge

Well, that is what I have set up at locations where they had no computer where the printer was supposed to be.

I have an HP5 printer. I have found several placed on the 'net where you can get an internal HP network adapter for it for $80 to about $140. Essentially, that would convert this 5 to a 5N. My question at this point is whether or not this "N" card would have the same limitations of an external print server.

In other words, would it handle any document, regardless of size?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a document larger than the printer's buffer, you'll probably have the same issues you have now.

5. Alex Ethridge

Oh well, I guess I'll leave it the way it is.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice