1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General Protection Fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by axkman, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axkman

axkman Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 98SE, and have recently been plagued by the message, "A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0167:BFF9DFFF". When I go the next step, I get a message that says "<program> caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 0004:00000db6" ( or a similar address). The programs that cause this are usually games programs, such as FREECELL, HEARTS, SOL, etc, and occasionally MMTASK.

I can get rid of this problem by rebooting, and everything will be OK for a while, then the cycle starts again. One thing that has changed is that I have added a new printer, a Canon MP700, and the problem only seemed to start after I added it. I tried unistalling the drivers and software, and that seemed to cure the problem, although I didn't leave them uninstalled for very long. I have checked system.ini and it includes "drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv"

Can anyone suggest a fix without having to continually reboot - or get rid of my new printer?

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide.

2. 1069

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The drivers=mmsystem.dll power.drv entry is a normal entry in the [boot] section.

If you don't use standby, suspend, hibernate, etc. and keep the settings in Power Management in the Control Panel set to "Always On" and "Never"(which is a good idea), you can delete the power.drv part of the command and just leave it as drivers=mmsystem.dll

4. axkman

axkman Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, guys. I'd already checked out the Microsoft article, 1069, but system.ini is in place and it contains the line, drivers = mmsystem.dll. I'll try removing power.drv, flavallee; Power Management settings are already at "Always On" and "Never" and I'll see what happens if I sacrifice "Standby" (although that's how I usually shut down the PC). Thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice