1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General question about WiFi, slow connections, and rebooting a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nietsloh, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nietsloh

nietsloh Thread Starter

So today my laptop's been surfing sloooooow. I'd reboot, but it didn't matter. Finally I went around the house and shut down my wife's laptop, rebooted the WiFi router and cable modem, and turned off the wireless printer. Once everything came back up I was back up to normal speed.

Is it possible that a WiFi connection can just get gummed up and need to be rebooted? Or maybe there's some sort of chitchat going on between the wireless printer and the router that just keeps growing until the whole network slows to a crawl?

Just curious to know about the some of the quirks of wireless routers and networks, if you have a moment.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're running any P2P, that will bring many routers to their knees after some running time.

3. L8ian

L8ian

Hi,
    For your infromation there si no need to reboot the entire network like wireless printer and your wife's laptop. If you reboot your router,the connection will be faster.
    To avoid this, try to upgrade the firmware version(driver for the router) of the router which gains strong wireless signal.

L8ian

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!