1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General Security Probelm - general CleanUp process

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by CFHarpley, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CFHarpley

CFHarpley Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I began starting to have to log in with password twice to enter hotmail. Didnt think much of it when it started.

Last friday, my internet explorer was taken over by an anti-virus page saying I was infected and to download this cleaner - it appeared to be a MS look alike so I didnt download but it had reset my home page to "about-blank" and each time I opened IE the same page opened.

I tried AVG but it didnt clear the problem and it has been a long time since I have had a problem I dont really know where to start.

I did try to down load and run some of the packages noted in this forum but am really at a loss where to start to clean up the machine.

I did remember that it may help if I reverted to a previous system point and did this. This has solved the IE problem but since I have not cleaned the system i assume that the bug it is still there and I would like to get it cleaned out.

Can you suggest the best method and programs to use to clean the computer up.

I am reasonably computer literate but not on new things or ones that I dont really understand like this...... hard for old dogs to learn new tricks.

I am running on Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.

The computer is a Dell Dimension E521 Athlon 64 desktop.

Any and all assistance will be greatfully accepted.

Regards

Chris

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice