1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

General slideshow ?'s. Resizing images, Auto-Levels, Batch, etc

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jrx10, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

I've got about 50 years of family pictures and slides (a lot) to convert to digital images before next Christmas. For the last couple of months, I've been learning how to create slideshows as well as adjust/resize/combine images.
    1) What image format is the best (and fastest) for slide-show creators (like Roxio) to work with? (or does it make any difference)​
    2) What are the best pixel image sizes to completely fill the screen for NTSC 4x3 (and what % should be assigned to the safe-zone for Tube-TV's) , as well as the HD formats 720 & 1080 (16x9)? (if any) (I can manipulate image sizes as well as combine 2 smaller images into one larger image if needed to fill the screen. I just hate to view a slideshow and have a large image followed by a small one, then a medium one, etc,---- so image distortion usually won't be a problem ​
    3) Do any of the auto-levels (auto-contrast, auto-color, etc) actually work? I haven't found an auto-level setting on the consumer (reasonably-priced) image-manipulation software that works for all images, however, I've been playing around with an older Pshop and it seems that a batch process with auto-contrast first, then followed by auto-color, seems to work the best for all-images with fewer discards to manually process (usually skin-tone problems). (but just using "auto-levels" in a batch file doesn't do it)​
    4) What is the best scanner for the money to buy for scanning both pictures and slides? thx​

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

1) The better quality you start with, generally the better quality you'll end up with (though going to DVD quality generally means quite a reduction in any case) so best and fastest are divergent in this case. If these are going to be all scanned in photos you'll probably want the best quality possible for archive purposes without having the images themselves take up outrageous amounts of disk space. A good high-quality bitmap or tiff file fits that bill...and make Roxio work for its supper.

2) NTSC is 720x480 pixels max, 720 is usually about 1360 (maybe 1366)x720 and 1080 is 1920x1080. Just keep those dimensions and especially aspect ratio in mind when you are arranging the images for whatever target screen they are intended for. Also keep in mind that any time you use a NTSC DVD to display your images it will always be 720x480 pixels max on whatever display it is shown on and is merely upscaled to fit higher resolutions displays.

3) NO! Well, actually the less the image needs to be adjusted, the better an auto adjustment works so in the cases where an image doesn't need a lot of correction it works really good and when its not, it works progressively worse, which makes sense when you think about it because its not "smart" or seletive adjustment like we are capable of.

4) Not sure but if you have a ton (a few thousand?) of slides you might want to look into both a regular scanner and a dedicated slide scanner which will do a better job of scanning the more demanding slides.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!