General USB Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mystik_TK

I'm trying to figure out what USB version I have.

I tried looking in Device Manager, but all that is there is three USB Root Hub entires, two Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller entries and one entry each for USB Mass Storage Device (my iPod) and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (for the record, isn't "Standard Enhanced" a bit of an oxy-moron?). Since I'm using an nForce board, the multiple entries are normal, although there is no reference to nVidia or nForce within the USB category of Device Manager. However, in none of these devices does it say anything about a version.

So, after that gace me no answers, I checked BIOS. BIOS tells me that I have USB Version 1.0 + 2.0. What does that mean, exactly?

Lastly, I should probably tell you the layout of my USB ports on the back of my comp. Just under the keyboard/mouse imputs are two USB ports and the near the bottom of the panel, by the nForce built-in sound card inputs are two more USB ports. I have two devices (iPod and UPS Battery) that I need to have plugged in and I have these currently in the two latter (bottom) ports. Is this the right place for them? Should they go at the top two ports by the keyboard/mouse inputs or one in a bottom and one in a top port or does it even matter and I'm just being paranoid? LOL.

Any help that anyone could give me, particularly regarding checking my USB version, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

if your bios tells you that you have both, then you have both...lol

whether you can use 2.0 depends on whether you have installed USB 2.0 drivers for your mobo, make sure you have the latest windows updates from microsoft, then check your mobo manufacturer's website for the lastes drivers (including usb2.0 drivers)

all usb ports are the same speed, as i said, your hardware supports it, its a software issue from here on.

P.S.- by the way, if you are only running USB1.1 and you plug in a USB2.0 device, a balloon message will pop up in windows telling you to install the USB2.0 drivers, if you haven't gotten that message, then dont worry about it :)

Mystik_TK

Thanks, guys. I feel kind of stupid, now. I should, after all, I'm the one that built the system, you'd think I'd be at least somewhat aware of what I put in it.:rolleyes:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
All of the ports supplied by the nForce chipset are USB 2.0.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online