1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Generally unresponsive computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeadNotSleeping, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeadNotSleeping

DeadNotSleeping Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I've never really needed to go through any steps to "fix" my computer before. Usually the problems were so swift and severe I had to replace the computer entirely....heh.

I bought my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop, windows 7, intel i3 core processor about 3 weeks ago, and it ran perfectly, handled all my ridiculous multitasking well, and was really light compared to others I've had. This morning my nephew was using it to play Skyrim (I digress, sometimes I sneak onto his game files for a little fun) and....well he has some anger issues, but that's not what this is about. Something upset him and he slammed the lower left side of the laptop pretty dern hard. Nothing broke on the outside, but suddenly the computer became unresponsive, and I had to force shut down the whole thing. When it started back up it wouldn't....start back up. I got an error message saying "Windows could not start successfully, we recommend you launch startup repair to try and fix the problem. Well I did that about 2 dozen times in a row with failures each time, till finally, much to my joy, it successfully started back up. Except now whenever I try to open a new program, it sometimes has periods of unresponsiveness, and some things like Skyrim can't be opened at all.

I really hope this isn't an internal problem to be fixed, and I'm terrified to restart the computer only to have it give me the startup issues again. So does anyone have any advice on troubleshooting I can do. or should I just swallow my gut and take it to a professional?

Much appreciation for any type of help that can be provided

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Maybe the RAM or something else was knocked loose. Or he could have easily damaged the hard drive by slamming it while it was running. Then you'd have to replace it and reinstall Windows and your programs. I suggest you back up any data you want to keep as soon as possible.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    What about warranty? Not sure it would be covered because of your nephew's anger issues?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Step two, after data backup, would be running diagnostics on the hard drive (Windows partition). A start: in an elevated Command Prompt window run the command

chkdsk

If it finds errors you'll have to run

chkdsk /f /r

and tell it to go ahead and run on the next restart.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice