1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

generic non-Pnp monitor standard VGA graphics adapter???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjlaw84, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

Yeah so, every now and again i decide to update windows 7 64, just to see if it WONT make me have to do a reinstall, ya know for it to do some actual good. yeah not so much... Problems problems, problems, ever since i updated to win7...

this latest batch of problems has me kinda ticked and sorta fed up entirely, of course geeksquad is a joke of a company, who wont honor their obligation when i bought my laptop, but thats a rant for another day.

so this one day, i restart my computer, just like any other time, and next thing i know, upon restart, i have 8 bit. with a 800x600, i check to see if maybe its just a video driver issue, and my gforce is gone, it's replaced with " generic non-Pnp monitor standard VGA graphics adapter ".

To top it off, i forget what peice of hardware i had originally.

So now whenever i restart my computer, or shut it off, then turn it back on again, my screen looks as if an 8th grader created a new theme for my laptop...

if i want to to be "normal" i have to just shut the lid, and pray it comes back more appealing...

What can i do??

thanks,

(note the graphics card, aka not correct...)
    ___

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 7 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 141623 MB, Free - 118380 MB; D: Total - 152621 MB, Free - 9527 MB; F: Total - 10995 MB, Free - 10896 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., G50VT
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Not Updated

2. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

if need be, i'll revert back to the day i bought it. but i don't have any discs that was suppose to come with my laptop, but never did. Geeksquad, swore up and down that it came with, but not so much.

How would i go about reverting?

And i have a serious heat issue, the side where the vent is; the plastic came off, and the effer burns my leg something fierce every now and again

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

4. Niclac

Niclac

How old is the laptop?
    By looking at your graphics card it does not seem to be powerfull enough, 4MB
    The heat puring out the side, your not painting a very good picture
    It looks like you have some serious problems with this machine
    Is there an application installed to create recovery disks, so you can re-install the OS
    Good luck

5. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

three years old this coming april...

yeah thats the problem, when i bought it, the specs were way different, its meant for gaming, and high performance sessions, but as you can see, clearly not the case. i must have installed windows about 2 dozen times since i bought it..

6. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

theres a lot listed, does asus scan whats wrong, and then give you a list of available dls? if so, should i just go ahead and download them all?

7. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

I updated my driver according to asus, and I rebooted and got blue screened... Can only boot up in safe mode..

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It's only showing 4MB for video because the driver is no longer installed.

In Safe Mode uninstall all the nVidia drivers and try the driver from www.nvidia.com instead.

Windows 7 was not the original O/S on the this unit if its that old, it should have come with Windows Vista.

9. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

Okay, just uninstalled, rebooting now so I can redownload.
    Correct, vista was on it when I bought it, and I regret every day for upgrading..

10. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

I downloaded the nvdia and rebooted, an another blue screen...

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

The huge majority of people do not have these problems with Windows 7. You may just want backup your data and do a clean install of Windows 7.

Before doing so, download all the latest drivers from the Asus website and update the BIOS as well.

12. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

Be that as it may, i have had nothing but problems with it.
    I've clean installed since these video problems arised, aprox 6 times, zero exaggeration.

I just don't get what the problem is and how to fix it

13. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Please do not use the report function to ask questions, its for reporting issues such as described here:

Use the Asus Live Update that's found under the Utilities section of the Asus website.

Additionally you may want to test the RAM in the system: http://www.memtest.org/

14. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

Sorry I'm replying through my phone, I didn't mean to.

15. cjlaw84

cjlaw84 Thread Starter

How do I connect to the Internet through safe mode, so I can download them all?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037794