1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Generic Storage Device USB Device keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jack1532, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1532

Jack1532 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having a slight problem with my computer.

It originated when I was using an image mounting tool, after removing one of the simulated drives while my usb thumb drive was connected. A new drive called removable disk appeared with the same drive letter as the simulated drive I removed. If I go into the device manager I see it as "Generic Storage Device USB Device". Removing it also removes the new drive from my computer, however each time I reconnect my usb thumb drive I get that one popping up. I also get my thumb drive, but besides that I get a "ghost" image of one that I can't open, and it remains even after safely removing my usbstick, and remains until I remove it in the device manager. I'm guessing this is related to windows 'remembering' the ids of the devices you connect, however I can't remember where that is stored in the windows registry. Any ideas about what I can do?

Thankful for any answers

Regards
    Jack

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autopl ayHandlers\KnownDevices

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autop layHandlers\Handlers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autop layHandlers\EventHandlers

Hope it helps.

3. Jack1532

Jack1532 Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. However sadly it didn't fix my problem. I also tried removing the device from the MountedDevices in regedit and using another usb stick and port, but that didn't help either. Finally I got annoyed and did a system restore to a week ago, however the problem still persists. It's not that big a bother but it's damn annoying, especially as it's hogging drive letters for itself.

4. jujuswift

jujuswift

why dont you just repeat what you did the first time in reverse, add that extra drive back using the mounting tool, see if it makes and extra one or just simply fills the space of the "ghost" drive, then remove the flash and see what happens.

5. Jack1532

Jack1532 Thread Starter

A good suggestion Juju, however it's also one of the first things I tried, and sadly it didn't help. I thank you for the suggestion though :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951466