1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Genes/Genetics/DNA Strings/Etc

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by tech_reck, Apr 18, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. tech_reck

tech_reck Thread Starter

Or let's just say the Human's Genetic System.

What can you say about the genes of each person? Do you think there are types of genes that makes us guys know how to do certain things easily such as sports just with little effort?

I think the genes of some people were born from their parents but it's amazing how this can be. The main thing I am currently and mostly interested in the biology subject is on : Genes: Taking a natural sports ahtlete's DNA String X into another person's Y. If you guys know what i'm talking about, then I will continue.. Anyways, I know it will take ages for this to insert the X and the Y together but I've been also hearing that there are other ways of transfering them. Such as genes splicing.

What can you guys say?

Maybe some links would help, thanks.

2. barfly

barfly

"I think the genes of some people were born from their parents "

They all are :rolleyes:

"Anyways, I know it will take ages for this to insert the X and the Y together but I've been also hearing that there are other ways of transfering them."

10 minutes in my experience :rolleyes:

3. tech_reck

tech_reck Thread Starter

Well the first one you quoted about me saying that; you should forget I said that.. It was only to bring up a good discussion.

10 minutes in your experience? I'm confused, explain please. Your eyes are going to get hurt if you keep rolling them.

tech_reck

4. barfly

barfly

Ask Pam!

5. AlbertB

AlbertB

Looks like two would be stretching things a bit barfly! :D

6. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

lol

Anyways... excuse me, but I am finding it hard to follow your post; what exactly do you want a discussion about? Taking certain genes from certain people and 'inserting' them into others, with the hopes of improving health/abilities/skills/etc? More or less, such things are already being worked at/done at a small scale. "Gene therapy" for example, is sort of along those lines.

7. Stallion714

Stallion714

I think I get what he was trying to say. I'll try to elaborate.
    K everyone has 46 chromasomes 23 coming from both the father and the mother. 22 determine traits and ther is one sex chromasome either x or y. The egg has one chromasome "x", and the sperm can have either an "x" or a "y". That Y will determine "maleness"; X chromasomes determine "femaleness", and if the sperm donates an x chromasome the embryo will develop into a woman. On a side note in the absence of a sex chromasome in the sperm (genetic abnormality) or XO the embryo will still develop "femaleness".
    That being said my man; your speculation that men are generally naturaly athletic compared to women, and that the athleticism is somehow related to the Y chromasome needs some support (and yes, I have seen girls try to throw overhand).
    I'm guessing you want to change the eggs chromasome from an x to a y, and develop some uber male yy phenotype, and what would that be?
    Neat question; like alien said gene splicing is pretty common. You've probably eaten tomatoes spliced with atlantic fish genes; to help withstand frosts, and those gigantic strawberries in the grocery store are geneticly developed. As for messing with the sex chromasomes, I guess it could create a body like Barry Bonds, but the dude would probably be sterile.

8. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

OK, seems another person was reading it as I was, but I think I understand the original post more now with the explanation by Stallion. :D

Foremost, it is being assumed, or speculated, that athletic ability is related to the Y chromosone. It's quite possible that there is some relation. It is a given fact that boys are overwhelmingly more athletic than girls. Of course, that is not always the case. You could randomly pick 10 boys and 10 girls. Likely, all or most of the boys every time will hold some significant athletic ability. Yet, the girls will have no athletic ability most of the time, or will occasionally there will be a girl or two that does. Meaning that athletic ability is either 'learned' by environment (society has a strong influence on the roles men and women play; boys play with trucks, girls play with dolls; but when there is a girl in a mostly boy family, it can usually be evidenced that the girl is more of a "Tom-boy", leading to some support to it being environment related), or athletic ability is simply, "enhanced" or more "enabled", by the Y chromosone.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice