1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Genetically Modified HUMANS !!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by oldie, Apr 10, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Gene therapy is currently directed towards changing the genetic makeup of the cells in the body of an individual only (somatic gene therapy). Most countries outlaw gene therapy on germ cells (germline gene therapy) - which would change the genetic makeup of the next generation – on account of the its obvious eugenics implications. But there have nevertheless been calls for gene therapy on the unborn and on human embryos, all on the back of the publicity generated by the human genome project :eek:

One wonders ????

Oldie

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Genetically modified humans.......
    Interesting but also frighting!
    I can perceive the benefits for disease control or prevention but where will it stop? The prue Aryan society!!!!! Where have I heard that before.

Below is a link to some suggested policies.

Society......

Dave

3. AlbertB

AlbertB

If we can - we always do! :)

4. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Too true.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Genetically engineered ones taste better than organically grown ones. There has also been gene therapy used on certain foms of cancer with amazing results.

6. pronute

pronute

Anyone ever see the movie Gattaca that is a look into the future of Genetically Modified HUMANS where normal natural born In-Valids as they're called are discriminated against.

7. Trooper_fan

Trooper_fan

That's all very well and good but when they start tinkering with the very essence of humans it all starts to get a little TOO scary for me.

There is a theory that the 'Greys' (little alien chappies) are us from the future after a horrendous Genetic Engineering mishap... makes you wonder :confused:

IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

8. Rockn

Rockn

Maybe we could genetically engineer a brightness knob on people!! I am all for that. Or a V-Chip kind of thing that makes them physically ill when watching American Idol or Survivor.

9. AlbertB

AlbertB

Agreed Trooper fan, but what is crucial is "what defines broke?"

In most parts it means life threatening or at least totally life quality depriving. In some parts it means lacking the sparkle of teeth aligned with a laser spirit level with 100% vertical symmetry and a polish which blinds prairie dogs in the sun! Catch my drift? :D

10. AlbertB

AlbertB

Hey, I've got one of those Rockn'!!! Want to give it a little twiddle and brighten up my day? ;) :D :D :D

11. izme

izme

Well, If they do any modification's to anyone

Let's start with the women:

Handlebar ears
    Fold back teeth
    and a flat head, so I have a place to set my beer during the football game :eek: :D :D

><">

12. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Imagine if we abolished ADD. No Einstiens, Newtons or Michaelangelos anymore, but more kids would pass their grades and lead happier lives.

Imagine the dilemma of choosing to let an ADD-positive fetus alone to suffer a rough childhood for the slim chance he/she might change the world 30 years down the rocky road. When does the child have a say, and will he/she be able to accept what has already happened? Whew!

13. Trooper_fan

Trooper_fan

Hmm that's a good point, for me personally I believe we HAVE to have some diseases etc as I believe it's natures way of thinning out the population to managable levels.

I know this sounds mean (and I have lost family and friends from Cancer and other diseases before people start telling me I'm being heartless) but think about it, just curing all diseases enabling a longer life expectancy would increase sheer strain on food resources and the planet itself by a phenominal level!!

I believe Mother Nature would just find another sure fire way to 'remove' excess population.

14. oldie

oldie Thread Starter

Mother Nature Will, We as humans are more susceptible to bacterium than any other species on earth :eek:

Man (Not sure about the lady's) will die out as a species. Science accepts this inevitable fact.

MRSA and it's future derivitives may well be the cause :eek: :eek: :eek:

Scary Oldie :D Albeit factual :eek:

15. Trooper_fan

Trooper_fan

That's true and even more-so now. There was a program a while ago about people going back to live in Stone age settlements (one of those experimental things) and everyone was getting very sick all the time because of the bacteria that they were exposed of that we nowadays nuke with bleach and a million and one different anti-bacterial cleaners.

We're going to wipe ourselves out because of our paranoia about killing germs in our houses. I'm not saying never clean your house again but the bacteria are mutating in a direct response to these products and WE are the ones creating super bugs and we are becoming less and less resistant to these bugs as we clean our homes TOO well. Our immune systems don't learn how to cope with little amounts of these bacteria and when for example there's a butcher that's a little less clean than you would be and you get a dose of Salmonella it can almost kill us because our systems haven't learned to deal with it.

But then I have alot of wierd theories :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice