1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Genuine OS, create ISO frm recovery disc, startup repair

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by askmenot, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askmenot

askmenot Thread Starter

I have a laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Basic. Within 10 days of purchase, my hard disk crashed and was replaced. At that time the authorized service centre installed OS Windows Vista Business. I have created a set of recovery disc which contains the factory settings of my laptop (I mean which I got after hard disk replacement-Vista Business,and also contained promotional offers of 60 days free Norton Internet security and 60 days free Microsoft office).

I checked my OS for its genuineness status on microsoft's website. It reports my OS to be GENUINE.
    Now my problem is "Is my OS really genuine?" I don't have the product key as the sticker which I got on the laptop contains Vista Home Basics's Product Key. I found the product key using a 3rd party utility that tells me keys of all installed softwares.

My next problem is I don't have a Vista disc. What I have is the recovery disc, which is very different from OS disc and is not useful in many situations. How can I get Vista ISO from recovery disc?

I believe if what I am trying to do is not possible, in that case can I get such an ISO from microsoft?
    And if even that is not possible, if I somehow get a disc from my friend and then install Vista from it by entering my own product key(which I have discovered using 3rd party tool), will my installation still be genuine? Can I copy my friend's DVD for future use?

I am so keen on getting Vista disc instead of recovery disc because presently my laptop is having Vista in dual boot with fedora 13. I am planning to install Windows 7 in place of Vista without removing fedora.
    In case I have any kind of problem(like one of my programs not working, or any other which I might not think of now) and I would like to revert back to Vista, I still would not like to disturb fedora, and recovery disc cannot achieve that!

And lastly, if I install Win 7 in place of vista, I know I'll not be able to boot into fedora. Can easybcd application for windows create a bootloader that can give me an option for which OS to boot in on startup, I mean can it work for Linux systems as well?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If your programs are designed for Vista, they will work in Win7.

EasyBCD claims it can handle dual boots Windows and Linux. But, being that Fedora is a cutting edge distro, it may have something new that EasyBCD can't recognize. I would call up EasyBCD to ensure that it works with Fedora 13.

There is another option for running Linux instead of dual booting. I use SUN's Virtual Box. It is a free virtual machine, similar to VMWare ( ~$160 ). So I can run Linux while I am inside Windows. Works great for me.

Since you're planning to install Win 7, I would save the money and not order a Vista disc.

3. askmenot

askmenot Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. My problem is that I had installed wifi and audio drivers in fedora with great pains. And I don't remember the exact steps what I did. So I don't want to loose the installation. Secondly, I have used OS in virtual machines, but I prefer fedora to be in dual boot. That comes to be very handy when I have to boot quickly just to transfer a file or look at a text.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice