1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GeoCities help!

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by jazbone, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jazbone

jazbone Thread Starter

I am trying to use a file for backround music on my geocities website. It is in .wav format, I uploaded it, and selected it as music. When the page loads it says its loading the song but then there is no sound. Whats wrong?

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Can you give a link to the site?

3. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Your upload is probaly timing out.

Try saving the wav at a lower quality or making it shorter so that the file isnt as big.

-Snake

4. jazbone

jazbone Thread Starter

5. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Well if size isnt the problem then lowering the quality shouldnt solve the problem.

6. suzi

suzi

Are you using Geocities tools for making your site and uploading your files, or something else?

Did you try the Geocities help section? They have support forums there too.

Could you get the same music as a midi file? Those are smaller and might work better.

I don't know the answer to your problem, wish I could help more.

7. Tarq

Tarq

Hello, why not try to host the music else where. Such as your the free space your isp provides you with and then externally link to the music file from Geocities.

8. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

There is a problem with your html. You have embed and you also have the tag for noembed. They are conflicting. If you can edit the HTML for your site... remove the noembed tags around the sound file.

9. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

I don't know if you can edit HTML in Geocities but I see the problem.

*EMBED SRC="http://www.geocities.com/caedmon2serve/Rev.wav" LOOP=TRUE AUTOSTART=TRUE HIDDEN=TRUE*
    *NOEMBED**BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/caedmon2serve/Rev.wav" LOOP=INFINITE**/NOEMBED*
    */EMBED*

The *embed* and *noembed* tags are conflicting. It should be:

*EMBED SRC="http://www.geocities.com/caedmon2serve/Rev.wav" LOOP=TRUE AUTOSTART=TRUE HIDDEN=TRUE*
    *BGSOUND SRC="http://www.geocities.com/caedmon2serve/Rev.wav" LOOP=INFINITE*
    */EMBED*

Had to replace the >< with * because this forum doesn't handle HTML well.

10. jazbone

jazbone Thread Starter

im good with computers, but not with web design. I have no idea what u are talking about. So if u could dumb it down and explain (also dummbed down) how to fix it.:confused: :confused:

11. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

If you edit a webpage with notepad... you see a code. That portion of code I mentioned is the problem. If you can upload pages to Geocities, edit the page in question with notepad and upload it back to geocities. That is all I can do for you. Or you can attach the page, I fix it, and I post it back as an attachment, then you upload it back to Geocities.

12. jazbone

jazbone Thread Starter

could u look at the page again and see if I fixed the HTML problem?

13. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

You didn't fix it but attached is a fixed version of what I was talking about... I don't guarantee that it works but at least it solves a small problem that might be the cause right now or a problem once you solve the actual problem.

14. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

Oops! Forgot the attachment. You'll have to rename it to index.htm because you can't upload htm files here.

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice