1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Get Access to import from DOS database ??

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dodge7, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dodge7

dodge7 Thread Starter

I am trying to help a person stuck with an old 1980s DOS database program called "SMART". The program SMART will output its database in a format that Access should be able to read, but Access can't seem to completely read the output database from SMART. Anyone run into a situation close to this?

Any ideas on how to solve this?

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Any chance of posting the "output" file from the DOS program?
    What output format is it supposed to be?
    Have you tried opening with Excel instead?

3. dodge7

dodge7 Thread Starter

I don't have access to the file. I think the oputput is in CSV. I found out that Acess is really picky, so maybe an intermediate like Excel or maybe dBase could read the Smart Systems database and output it in a statndarize form that Excel would read....

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Strange, Access does handle CSV files, but some older programs use other characters to seperate the Records or lines of the data which can cause real problems. Opeing it with Wordpad might at least show you the "formatting" that has been used.
    I have found Excel slightly easier to use for importing than Access, once imported it can then be tidied up and saved as an Excel file which can be directly imported in to Access.
    If the user wants I am happy to have a look at it for them, just let me know and I will private mail you my email address.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice