1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

get an intel i5 or i7 on laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mshabsovich, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

i know that the i5 has 2 cores and the i7 has 4 cores. the i7 runs hotter and battery life is less than an i5. would you get a core i5 or i7 on a 14 inch laptop? im looking at the dell studio 14. has nice specs from what i can tell.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Depends on your needs.

Is it going to be your main computer?
    Is it for playing games? = i5
    Is it for 3D or video rendering? = i7
    Is it for doing Office & Internet work? Core2 or i5 will do (I5 a bit less power, but better 3D performance)

For *me* a notebook is something I use when not at home, nothing more.

If your a college student - will you use it classes? Or will it spend 99% of its time on a single desk?

A 14" noteboot - is more for portable use - especially since todays 15.6" screens are nothing more than extra wide-screen 14". 17+" notebooks are more for desktop replacements, but are 3~4lbs heavier.

3. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

it will be my main computer. i dont game and i dont render video. i do like to do many things at once such as download, run programs like word, photoshop, itunes, record video through media center, stuff like that. i do like long battery life

i found a nice sony laptop and a dell studio 14. the sony has nicer build quality but the dell offers better tech specs and a 3 year warranty for the same price. not sure which one to pick. dell offers way more customization but the sony may last longer overall. im torn between the 2. the sony comes with blu ray but the dell does not. dont think i need that. the dell also has backlit keyboard and eSATA which the sony does not. the sony has a better video card. dell: faster hard drive
    this is the sony:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5685054&CatId=4938

specs for dell studio 14

PROCESSOR NEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i5-520M 2.40GHz (2.93Ghz Turbo Mode, 3M cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3 Year Basic Service Plan Includes a $50 Dell Promo Gift Card!
    HARD DRIVE 500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) edit
    MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz edit
    HD DISPLAY 14.0” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera edi
    OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning - Enhanced Burn/Authoring edit
    VIDEO CARD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 512MB edit
    BATTERY OPTIONS 84 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
    BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1) edit
    KEYBOARD Back-lit Keyboard edit
    SOUND OPTIONS Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled edit
    WIRELESS CARDS Dell 1501 Wireless-N
    eSATA port
    HDMI

4. Compiler

Compiler

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice